ANACAPA ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search
Anacapa Island Light built 1912
Lighthouse under construction, East Anacapa Island, 1931
View from the Lighthouse, East Anacapa Island, c. 1935
Anacapa Island Lighthouse, 1964


Anacapa Island Lighthouse [USCG #6-0185]: is the only true lighthouse on any California Channel Island. In 1911, an unmanned navigational light was placed on Anacapa Island. However, by 1921 it was inoperative. The April 1928 Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Leaflet states:

“The government has an automatic light which is reached by two sections of ladders on the cliff. A stout rope hangs alongside. The skiff from which one lands is backed toward a shelf of rock to which one jumps when the swell heaves the boat level with the ledge.”

The U.S. Lighthouse Bureau constructed facilities for a manned lighthouse/fog signal in the early 1930s, and the light was turned on for the first time on March 25, 1932. Built of brick and concrete, the lighthouse tower is cylindrical, 40 feet in height, painted white with black trim. It contains twelve tower windows and a third order (4’ 8” x 3’ 3”) Fresnel lens. There are two white flashes of 1.1 million candlepower every 60 seconds, separated by 15 seconds. This was the last lighthouse built by the U. S. Lighthouse Bureau. In 1933 the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey established Anacapa Light as a survey point.

The Coast Guard automated the station in 1966. In 1991 the Anacapa Light Station was entered on the National Register of Historic Places. Buildings include:

  • lighthouse
  • fog signal building
  • landing facilities
  • complex of five Mission Revival buildings constructed by Lippman:
Assistant Heeper's Residence (1932)
Power House (1932)
Oil House (1932)
General Service Building (1932)
Tank House (1932)

In 1996-1996 the Coast Guard completed major repairs and rehabilitation of the lighthouse.


Keepers:

  • Head: Frederick S. Cobb (1932–1933), Mars Kinyon (1933–1935), Charles R. Coursey (1935–1938), Joseph May (1938–1945), David M. Homchick ( –1967),
  • First Assistant: Thomas G. Lewis (1933–1934), Charles R. Coursey (1934–1935), Joseph May (1935–1938), Leo Y. Kellogg (1938–1940), Howard S. Fawcett (1940–1943).
  • Second Assistant: Thomas G. Lewis (1932–1933), Charles R. Coursey (1933–1934), Allen O. Pecor (1934–1937), Leo Y. Kellogg (1937–1938), Howard S. Fawcett (1938–1940).
  • Third Assistant: James E. Thomas (1935–1937), Leo Y. Kellogg (1937), Howard S. Fawcett (1937–1938), Charles H. Livesay (1938–1939).


Anacapa Island Lighthouse

Wheeler Anacapa Light Station Pdficon small 2.gif



In the News~

September 27, 1854 [DAC]: “Captain Stevens went south in the Goliah for the purpose of locating the site for lighthouse on the island of Anacapa. After pulling around the island twice in a small boat seeking in vain to find a landing, they were compelled to return without accomplishing anything towards that object.”


September 19, 1855 [SDU]: “The United States surveying schooner Ewing arrived in the harbor of Monterey Tuesday last, from Santa Barbara. The Monterey Sentinel furnishes us with particulars of the survey and exploration of the island of Anacapa, of which little has been heretofore known. Lieutenant McRae, of the Ewing, has been making a reconnaissance of the island for lighthouse purposes. The island of Anacapa forms the southern termination of the group of islands in the channel of Santa Barbara; its true position and boundaries have only been laid down with accuracy by the officers of the United States Coast Survey, since the year 1851. Anacapa is a narrow, long-shaped mass of curious rocks and singular caves, measuring about four miles in length, and in the broadest part nearly half a mile in breadth. A peak on the west point attains an elevation over nine hundred feet; the land narrows and towers to the eastward, so as to be in parts a few feet above the sea and of the breadth of twenty to thirty feet. On close inspection the island is found to be divided into three parts, with passages for boats. At high tide this separation is clearly distinguished; at low tide the connecting formation of rocks is easily made out. The eastern point is connected with the main island by a reef of rocks visible at low water. The soil of the island is of a sandy character, and supports quantities of the cactus family of plants, with the thick-leaved, succulent vegetation so common on the rocky shores of the main land of California. There is not a drop of fresh water to be found on Anacapa. Guano is found in large quantities, but as the winter rains injure it, it is very likely to be too poor in ammonia to be of use in agriculture. The sea birds of our coast resort in immense numbers to this island, and seals are very abundant; fish abound in great quantities, and are easily taken. The water is bold along shore.”


December 14, 1874 [NYT]: “Lights and fog signals. The Lighthouse Board gives notice… Anacapa Island…”


December 11, 1888 [LAT]: “…Morrow introduced a bill establishing lighthouses at Deadman’s Island, at the east end of Anacapa Island, $25,000; and on San Miguel Island…”


November 13, 1894 [SBDI]: “The need of two more lighthouses on this coast is made very apparent when the number of wrecks occurring on the islands off this coast are considered. It has been the intention of the government to place a light on Anacapa Island and another on Santa Rosa. A lighthouse or even a fog bell off the west coast of Santa Rosa would probably have saved two fine ships in the last four years [Goldenhorn in 1892; Crown of England in 1894]. A light on Anacapa Island is also much needed.”


March 19, 1906 [LAT]: “…recommendations were made by the masters of the [Pacific Coast Steamship] Company’s ships engaged in coast traffic. It is recommended that fog signals be established at… the east end of Anacapa Island. It is also recommended that light stations be established at Catalina Island, San Miguel Island and the east end of Anacapa Island.”


March 19, 1906 [SFCall]: “Between San Francisco and San Diego… East End Anacapa Island — a light and fog signal is recommended for this point.”


March 20, 1906 [SBMP]: “Lighthouses for San Miguel and Anacapa islands have been recommended in the Department of Commerce and Labor, as an additional protection for ocean traffic on the Pacific coast. The Pacific Coast Steamship Company, which owned and operated the steamship Valencia, wrecked near Cape Beal last January, with great loss of life, has prepared a set of recommendaitons to be presented to the Department of Commerce and Labor…”


February 2, 1907 [SBMP]: “The lease of Anacapa Island has been advertised by the government as open to the highest bidder. As the Los Angeles Examiner expresses it: Anyone wishing to play Robinson Crusoe will be given an opportunity to do so by the United States government. A tenant is wanted for the Anacapa Island lighthouse reservation for five years. Major C. H. McKinstry, in charge of the 12th lighthouse district, will receive sealed proposals February 19 at his office in San Francisco.”


April 11, 1909 [LAH]: “A bill asking for five coast light and signal equipments for the California coast has been introduced by Senator Perkins. A revolving light and keeper’s quarters are asked for Point Firmin, light and fog signals for Anacapa Island…”


April 13, 1909 [SBMP]: “More lights for coast. The numerous wrecks along the California coast have stirred the federal authorities to action in the matter of lights and fog signals. For the Santa Barbara coast and islands, recommendations have been made that will mean the expenditure of about $150,000. The most important will be the light and fog signals on Anacapa Island…”


July 1, 1909 [SBWP]: “That the Navy Department is at last evincing an interest in our channel and shortly will install a series of safeguards for shipping in the shape of light, fog-signals, sirens, etc., is evidenced in a communication received by a prominent Santa Barbaran yesterday, setting forth the report of the local committee… Anacapa Island light and fog signal $100,000…”


August 6, 1909 [LAH]: “San Pedro, August 8. Shipmasters petition additional protection… The opinion is expressed that bell buoys would serve the purpose better, but that on the headlands of Anacapa Island and Point Vincent there should be steam or compressed air whistles…”


January 17, 1910 [LAH]: “Officers of the lighthouse tender Sequoia, which arrived here yesterday, will make an inspection of the Point Firmin lighthouse… The Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce , as a result of a petition from masters of vessels engaged in the coastwise trade, recently asked the department to establish a first-class station at the end of the breakwater, and also at Point Vincent and Anacapa Island…”


April 19, 1910 [SBMP]: “Engineers of the United States lighthouse establishment have been making soundings at Anacapa Island and at Richardson Rock near San Miguel Island, preliminary to the construction of the lighthouses authorized by the session of congress a year ago. The steamer Sequoia of the lighthouse service came into port yesterday morning from the other side of the channel, bringing Engineer Uron. The greater part of his time was put on Anacapa Island, but he also looked over the Richardson Rock location that is considered one of the most dangerous reefs in the channel. The appropriation for lighthouses on the Channel Islands calls for something over $150,000. ‘We made no surveys,’ said one of the officers of the Sequoia yesterday, ‘but the engineers have a very good idea of the needs in the way of proper foundations, and plans will now be drafted. We cannot tell yet just what these plans will be, and it is not known just when the work will be commenced.’ The engineer left the Sequoia here and went by train to San Francisco. The steamer sailed late in the day for the north.”


April 21, 1910 [SBMP]: “Washington. Appropriation for Anacapa Island. The $1,500,000 omnibus lighthouse bill agreed by the house interstate commerce includes: Anacapa Island $10,000...”


April 21, 1910 [LAT]: “The places at which aids to navigation are provided for in the $1,100,000 Omnibus Lighthouse Bill, agreed on by the House Interstate Commerce Committee, were announced… The bill includes Anacapa Island, Cal., $100,000…”


June 10, 1910 [SBI]: “Announcement that the omnibus lighthouse bill, agreed to by the conferees and passed by the Senate, provides $100,000 for a light on Anacapa Island and $29,000 for a light on Santa Cruz Island, came as a surprise to launchmen here. According to Captain George Gourley, there was no recommendation to congress from the lighthouse board for a light on Santa Cruz Island. ‘There is no need of a light on Santa Cruz Island,’ said Captain Gourley. ‘I think it must mean San Miguel, where the board recommended that a light be put. It also recommended appropriations for the old lights at Point Arguello, Santa Barbara and Hueneme, and for a new light at the east end of Anacapa Island.’ Anacapa Island lies about 12 nautical miles straight out from Hueneme point. It is the top of a submerged mountain sticking out of the water, about six miles long and very narrow. At the west end it rises to a height more than 900 feet, and only this end of the island can be seen from Santa Barbara.”


June 11, 1910 [LAH]: “Washington, June 10. Conferees on the omnibus lighthouse bill reached an agreement today, and their report was adopted by the senate. The bill carries $1,358,550… Among the chief aids to navigation which will be constructed under the new law are one relief light station at Anacapa Island…”


June 11, 1910 [LAT]: “California, under new law, gets two new lighthouses… Among the chief aids to navigation which will be constructed under the new law, are one relief light station at Anacapa Island, Cal., $100,000…”


June 11, 1910 [SFCall]: “Among the chief aids to navigation which will be constructed under the new law are one relief light station at Anacapa Island…”


March 8, 1911 [SBMP]: “Ventura. Bay Webster of this city, lessee of the island of Anacapa, left for San Pedro today where he is requested to meet with the government lighthouse board. The party will take Mr. Webster to the island. The trip will be made for the purpose of investigating and starting preliminary work with the object of locating a lighthouse on the island. Congress has appropriated $100,000 for the purpose of erecting a lighthouse on the island, and the prospect is that this present move is preliminary to beginning work on the structure immediately. Anacapa is part of this county and it lies 20 miles off the coast. The island is about five miles long, and made up of three islands closely joined. It is practically a mere rock, though it is capable of carrying several hundred head of sheep during the season. There is no water on the island, except one or two seepages, but it is believed water could be developed and will be by the government. The sheep on the island get their moisture from the cactus and ice plants and other plants of that character. The lighthouse, it is thought, will be placed on the east end of the extreme eastern island of the group.”


March 27, 1911 [LAT]: “Captain Bay Webster returned yesterday, from San Pedro. Captain Webster is lessee of Anacapa Island and received word a few weeks ago to meet the lighthouse inspector at San Pedro for a trip to the island…”


March 28, 1911 [LAT]: “The government has appropriated $100,000 for the building of the lighthouse on Anacapa.”


July 14, 1911 [LAT]: “Since the wreck of the steamer Santa Rosa, there is much talk along the coast for better equipment of lighthouses, fog signals, buoys, etc. The cost for complete equipments along the coast of this state at Anacapa Island, Richardson Rock, Point Vicente, North Farallon Island, Hueneme and Point Loma would be less than $500,000…”


September 17, 1911 [SBMP]: “The steam schooner Tahoe, Captain O. Fredrickson… [said] ‘I consider Anacapa Island the most dangerous spot on the coast, and there should be a lighthouse and fog signal there; but the entire channel is without adequate markings. I understand lighthouses have been recommended boar for Richardson Rock and Anacapa Island, but congress failed to make the appropriation. They are waiting for some terrible disaster at sea before giving the Pacific coast the protection that similar waterways on the Atlantic would have had half a century ago.”


December 6, 1911 [LAT]: “Washington briefs… Among them considered essential for navigation needs and the amounts suggested for the improvements, are the following… Anacapa Island, California, $100,000…”


December 23, 1911 [SDET]: “Notice to Marines. California, Anacapa Island, whistling buoy to be established about January 20, 1912. Anacapa Whistling Buoy 1A in about 120 feet of water, about 5/8 miles off east end of Anacapa Island.”


February 12, 1912 [SDET]: “California — Santa Barbara Channel Islands: Anacapa island light to be established about March 15, 1912, about 250 yards west from the east end of Anacapa Island. It is to be a white acetylene lens-lantern of about 530 candle power occulting thus: Light, 1 second; eclipse, 3 seconds; light, 1 second; eclipse, 10 seconds; about 176 feet above water from top of a black rectangular skeleton tower.”


February 16, 1912 [SBMP]: “Report from San Francisco states that the Commander W. A. Moffett, United States inspector of lighthouses for the 18th district, has issued notices to the effect that new white acetylene lights reported some months ago as having been ordered for Anacapa Island and Richardson Rock will be installed about March 15. The success of the acetylene light attached to a whistling buoy led Commander Moffett to extend the principal to steel towers on points where it is impossible to get appropriations for permanent stations. The light will burn from four to six months without attention and can be seen for 15 miles from the deck of an ordinary vessel. Being of occulting nature, they easily can be identified by mariners intolerable thick weather.”


February 25, 1912 [SBMP]: “The lighthouse tender Sequoia, which left San Francisco Thursday with material for installing temporary lighthouses at Anacapa Island and Richardson Rock, arrived here last night and anchored not far from the wharf. As no one came ashore last night it could not be learned what has been done. In all probability the vessel stopped at Richardson Rock, delivering material there, and then ran in here on the way to Anacapa. Commander W. A. Moffat, inspector of lighthouses, is on board. Acetylene light will be placed at both points and it can be expected that they will be acting as warnings to navigators within two weeks.”


February 27, 1912 [SBMP]: “The lighthouse tender Sequoia left yesterday morning for Anacapa Island with material for the new lighthouse. The Sequoia also carries material for the light at Richardson Rock. The ship is expected back in port the middle of the week.”


February 27, 1912 [SFCall]:' “Commander A. W. Moffett of the navy, lighthouse inspector for this district, returned yesterday from Anacapa Island at the eastern entrance to the Santa Barbara channel, where he had a thrilling adventure that nearly cost him his life. It was while Commander Moffett was trying to scale the precipitous side of the island last Wednesday that he came near sliding down 200 feet to the water below, which had been lashed into a fury by a heavy gale that swept down the coast last week. Commander Moffett left here last week on the lighthouse tender Sequoia for the purpose of locating sites for the lighthouses to be installed on Anacapa Island at the eastern entrance to the Santa Barbara channel and on Richardson Rock at the western entrance to the channel. The gale was at its height as the Sequoia reached Richardson Rock. Moffett directed that the ship continue on to Anacapa Island. On arriving there he found the sea so rough that it was impossible to make a landing at the usual place. The Sequoia then ran around to the lee of the island where there is a sheer cliff of more than 300 feet. Eager to proceed with the work of locating a site and installing the lighthouse tower, Commander Moffett and part of his crew went ashore and tried to scale the cliff. Working their way with the greatest difficulty, the men reached a height of about 200 feet. At this point the loose rocks and earth gave way under Moffett and he began to slide. He slid down the face of the cliff several feet and barely saved himself from death in the ocean by grasping one of the cactus bushes that struggle for an existence on the bleak cliff. With his hands, knees and sides with thorns Moffett carefully worked his way back to the narrow strip of beach. A few minutes later he was surprised to discover that one of the party had attained the top of the cliff. After Moffett's mishap, the others in the scaling party had found a fissure at the side of a slide by means of which they were able to get to the top. The next day Moffett and W. L. Woodruff, the constructing engineer with him, succeeded in scaling the cliff by means of a rope...”


March 3, 1912 [LAT]: “The lighthouse tender Sequoia today unloaded material for a light at the east end of Anacapa Island, and it was stated by maritime officials that the light, which with the light at Hueneme, will guard the eastern entrance to the channel, will be in operation by next Saturday. The Sequoia also brought material for a light at Richardson Rock on the west end of San Miguel Island. This light, and the one now at Pt. Conception, will furnish a guide for the western entrance.”


March 3, 1912 [SBMP]: “Next Saturday night Anacapa Island light will cast its first gleams over the eastern entrance to the Santa Barbara Channel. This is the statement made by officers of the lighthouse tender Sequoia, which came in here yesterday for supplies, and will remain until this afternoon. Captain H. Anderson of the Sequoia reported that a whistling buoy had already been placed off the eastern end of Anacapa Island. The whistling buoy that has marked the Hueneme side of the channel has been removed, for its place is now taken by a modern fog signal; while the Hueneme light has been modernized. These protective measures will serve to outline the channel entrance from the south, until such time as congress gets ready to act upon the recommendation of the lighthouse board of $120,000 for a permanent lighthouse and fog signal at Anacapa... The Anacapa Island light is a temporary affair, and the first of its kind on the coast. It will require no attendance, except about once in six months when gas-making materials must be renewed. The device has been used for light buoys, but never before on a tower in the pacific. The tower itself will be about 50 feet high, of steel skeleton construction, and resting on a concrete base. The altitude of the light will be 180 feet. These lights here have burned continuously throughout the 24-hours of each day, but with recent patent attached to the Anacapa Island beacon, the rising sun will extinguish the light, and as the sun sets the flame will automatically appear. Upon completion of the Anacapa Island work, the Sequoia will go to Richardson Rock, off San Miguel Island, and mark the western entrance to the channel... Moffett is now in San Francisco. Men on the Sequoia read with considerable interest and amusement the reports from San Francisco of Lieutenant Moffett’s misadventure with a cactus bush on an Anacapa Island cliff.”


March 8, 1912 [OC]: “According to information left behind them by members of the crew of the United States lighthouse tender Sequoia, which was at Hueneme, after doing considerable work on the Anacapa Islands near Hueneme, the big lighthouse that was installed by them at Anacapa Island will cast its first gleams over the eastern entrance of the Santa Barbara Channel on Saturday night next. Captain H. Anderson of the Sequoia, when seen by a reporter, spoke of the work done in this section… The Anacapa light is to be but a temporary affair, according to his statement, and is the first of its kind on the coast. It will require no attendance, except about once each six months, when the gas making materials have to be renewed… The Sequoia will be at work on the Anacapa light for a short time yet… it will go to Richardson Rock, off San Miguel Island, to place a similar light…”


March 8, 1912 [LAT]: “Next Saturday night the Anacapa Island light will cast its first entrance to the Santa Barbara Channel. Being the only light of its kind on the Pacific Coast seamen will be particularly interested in it and are waiting anxiously to see whether it will be successful. This light will require no attendance except about once in six months when the gas making materials must be removed. The tower will be about fifty feet high, of steel skeleton construction, and resting on a concrete base. The altitude of the light will be 180 feet. Such lights have been burned continuously for 24 hours each day in the past, but with a recent patent attached to the Anacapa beacon, the rising sun will extinguish the light and as the sun sets the flame will automatically appear. Captain H. Anderson of the lighthouse tender Sequoia, who has been installing the light, says a whistling buoy has been placed off the eastern end of Anacapa Island, about 3000 feet from shore…”


March 1912 [VCS]: “The new light on Anacapa Island has been turned on, the only one of its kind on the Pacific coast, requiring no attendance except when it needs refueling.”


March 9, 1912 [LAT]: “A new lighthouse installed on Anacapa Island requires only one visit every six months. We once knew a man with a conscience which could go no longer than that without attention.”


March 13, 1912 [SFCall]: “Commander Moffett, lighthouse inspector for this state, was advised yesterday that the lighthouse which has just been installed on Anacapa Island, at the eastern entrance to the Santa Barbara channel, is now in operation. It is a white acetylene lens lantern of 530 candle power with a flash of 1 second, and eclipse of 3 seconds, a flash of 1 second and an eclipse of 10 seconds.”


March 14, 1912 [SBMP]: “The new lighthouse at Anacapa Island has gone into commission. The light is 530-candle-power acetylene. It will flash for one second, with three second interval of darkness, followed by one second of light and ten seconds of darkness.”


April 23, 1912 [SBMP]: “The Santa Barbara light is to be changed about May 1, according to a notice to mariners... The improvement, together with those just installed at Hueneme, Anacapa Island and Richardson Rock, will make the channel section one of the best protected on the coast.”


April 27, 1912 [SBMP]: “The automatic lighthouse on Richardson Rock, 18 miles south of Point Conception and about six miles north of San Miguel Island, marking the westerly entrance to the Santa Barbara Channel, has been placed in operation, the report being made officially by the lighthouse service... The light which burns acetylene gas, will run for four months without recharging. Before long the storage will be increased so that the light will run a year without a fresh supply of acetylene. The flash of the light is three-tenths of a second long, while the eclipse is two minutes and seven-tenths of a second. The light is a lens lantern type with 530-candle power. The same style of light was placed on Anacapa Island over a month ago, and now the south side of the channel, at either entrance, is so marked. There is still need of a fog signal at each place; and it is the hope of the department, with the aid of Congress, to establish permanent lighthouse stations at both points.”


May 24, 1912 [SBI]: “Commander W. A. Moffett, U.S. Navy, who recommended and supervised the placing of temporary lights on Anacapa Island and Richardson’s Rock has been ordered to report for duty June 30 on the new battleship Arkansas. The ship is nearing completion at Camden, New Jersey.”


December 9, 1912 [SDET]: “Notice to Mariners. California, Santa Barbara Channel Islands, light showing irregularly December 5. Anacapa Island Light, reported not showing the characteristic heretofore published, will be adjusted as soon as practicable. Light now shows: Flash, 1 second; eclipse, 5 seconds; flash one second; eclipse, 16 seconds.”


February 17, 1913 [SDET]: “Notice to Mariners. California, Santa Barbara Channel Islands, Anacapa light adjusted to show its proper characteristic. February 12, having been heretofore reported showing irregularly. Light now shows: flash, 1 second; eclipse, 3 seconds; flash, 1 second; eclipse, 10 seconds.”


June 19, 1914 [SDET]: ““Notice to Mariners. California, Santa Barbara Channel Islands, Anacapa light, relighted June 16, having been heretofore reported extinguished.”


December 30, 1914 [LAT]: “Senator Perkins introduced a bill today providing for the appropriation of $103,000 for a light and fog signal station at Anacapa Island.”


January 13, 1915 [SBMP]: “Anacapa Island light provided: Appropriation calls for the expenditure of sum of $105,000. Seafarers in this region are pleased with the intelligence from Washington to the effect that the senate committee has reported favorable an appropriation of $105,000 for a lighthouse on the east end of Anacapa Island. It is supposed this amount is intended to cover the cost of a keeper's dwelling and a fog siren. There is already installed in that location an automatic acetylene gas light, and this has been of great benefit to shipping, especially since the opening of the Panama Canal, since which time there have been many craft passing through these waters between Anacapa and Hueneme.”


January 13, 1915 [SBDNI]: “The $103,000 appropriation for a lighthouse on the east end of Anacapa Island, reported on favorably by the senate committee at Washington, is the cause of much delight to navigators in this vicinity. It is believed that the amount covers the cost of a keeper’s cottage and a fog siren. At the island, near the spot where the lighthouse is intended, an automatic actylene lamp is now in service, and has proven of great benefit to shipping passing between Anacapa Island and Hueneme. An appropriation of $80,000 has also been recommended by the senate committee for a light at Point Vicente, between Redondo and San Pedro, on a high, rocky headland, 80 miles west of the present Point Firmin light.”


January 18, 1915 [SBMP]: “Tardy and most necessary recognition may be given to congress to the need of Pacific Coast shipping for protection against the dangers of an unlighted shore. The Santa Barbara Islands and mainland have been strewn with wrecks, scarcely a year passing with its toil…”


December 7, 1915 [LAT]: “California request appropriations… Lighthouse estimates — Anacapa Island, fog signal and lighthouse, $103,000…”


July 26, 1926 [SDET]: “When the whistling buoy of Anacapa Island took a notion to go A.W.O.L. some weeks ago, it started a fad which threatens to spread throughout the entire lighthouse service buoy 'personnel'. Anacapa's warbling wanderer made good its escape and, despite the fact that its deed was broadcast to the world and all vessels were requested to aid in the search, has never been apprehended.”


May 14, 1930 [SDET]: ”Seacoast – California — Anacapa Island Light. Light heretofore reported extinguished was relighted May 10, 1930.”


August 6, 1931 [OT]: “Anacapa Island, a dry, barren, and lonely speck off the southern California coast, opposite Ventura, will be inhabited this fall by a community of twenty government employees and their families. H. W. Lippman, Los Angeles, contractor, has announced a real lighthouse station on the island will be ready for occupancy the latter part of September. Although uninhabited until the arrival of the construction crews, Anacapa Island has for many years been a favorite haunt of pleasure craft and occasional commercial fishermen. Around the lonely speck exists the best swordfishing water in this area… Ten new buildings, besides the powerful lighthouse equipped with foghorn, power house and radio compass station, have been erected to house the _____


September 30, 1931 [SDET]: “Anacapa Island, seacoast, California — Anacapa Island radio beacon will be low power (Class C) and will be operated on a frequency of 304 kilocycles. In clear weather the station will transmit the characteristic signal, dash, two dots, dash continuously from 10 to 15 minutes cast each hour. In fog or thick weather the station will transmit its characteristic signal continuously from 10 to 15, from 25 to 30, from 40 to 45, and from 55 to 60 minutes each hours.”


October 3, 1931 [LAT]: “[Lazard] Lippman reported the new government lighthouse at the east end of Anacapa Island, which he is constructing, will be completed within thirty days. It comprises a dozen buildings, powerhouse, radio compass station, electric light plant and water works.”


January 8, 1932 [SDET]: “California — Seacoast, Anacapa Island Light and fog signal to be established. About March 1, 1932, a new light showing group flashing white with 3 flashes every 60 seconds, thus, flash 1.3 seconds, eclipse 10.7 seconds, flash 1.3 seconds, eclipse 10.7 seconds, flash 1.3 seconds, eclipse 34.7 seconds, of 1,600,000 candlepower will be established about 150 yards westward from the present Anacapa Island light, which will then be discontinued. The light will be exhibited 274 feet above mean high water from a concrete tower and will be visible 23 miles. THe fog signal will be a diaphone which will sound 1 blast every 30 seconds, blast 3 seconds, silent 27 seconds.” [also January 11, 1932; March 10, 1932]


March 28, 1932 [SDET]: “Big island light in service Friday; visible 20 miles. Of 1,600,000 candle power, the giant Anacapa Island light will go into service next Friday. The light will reduce the hazard to navigation in the Point Arguello region [?], where many vessels, both merchant and naval, have been lost. The last large vessel to go on the rocks there was the Lassco liner Harvard lost last May. The light will be visible for more than 20 miles. It will shine from a tower 227 feet above the water. Anacapa Island lies at the eastern entrance of the Santa Barbara Channel.”


December 19, 1932 [SDET]: “The lighthouse tender Lupine was in port here over Sunday. Enroute southward to San Diego, the Lupine stopped at Anacapa Island, where the most powerful lighthouse on the California coast recently was placed in commission, and left 25,000 gallons of water. A rain shed of 400,000 gallons capacity on the island was empty. The supply of water from the lighthouse tender was run to the island through a hose.”


March 21, 1934 [SDET]: “Seacoast, California — Change in radio-beacon frequencies. The frequencies of the radio-beacons at Anacapa Island light station and at Farallon light station will both be changed on March 24 to 314 kilocycles. There will be no change in characteristic, operating sequence or operating schedule at either of these stations.” [also March 30, 1934]


November 22, 1934 [SDET]: “The battleship California continued its voyage from southern California waters to Puget Sound today after playing a dual role of a hospital ship and a ferry within the space of an hour, according to word from Ventura. Just after passing Anacapa Island, off Ventura, the vessel was ordered to investigate a distress call at Anacapa Island lighthouse, where the wife of the keeper was ill. Surgeon Jordan was sent ashore from the California. He ordered the woman taken aboard the battleship with her husband and small daughter, and the dreadnaught then ferried the party across the channel and landed them at Ventura, where an ambulance was waiting to take the sufferer to a hospital.”


Back to Top