AXELROD, Daniel Isaac
AXELROD, Daniel Isaac (1910-1998) [SS#572-42-8412], New York-born paleobotanist and geologist who was graduated with his Ph.D. from the University of California, Berkeley in 1938. Axelrod became professor of geology at UCLA, then professor of botany at UC Davis. He was particularly interested in the reconstruction of past environments and climates. Among many things, he studied the evolution of closed-cone pine trees, including those on Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa islands, and a small area in northern Baja California, Mexico.
Axelrod collected on;
- Santa Cruz Island (1975)
Axelrod died of a heart attack at age 88 on June 2, 1988 in Davis, California.
- 1967. Axelrod, Daniel Evolution of the Californian Closed-Cone Pine Forest (pp. 93-149) Proceedings of the Symposium on the Biology of the California Islands, Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, 1967
- 1978. Axelrod, Daniel The origin of coastal sage vegetation, Alta and Baja California American Journal of Botany 65(10):1117-1131
- [original in SCIF archives]
- 1980. Axelrod, Daniel History of the maritime closed-cone pines, Alta and Baja California University of California Publications in Geological Sciences 120: (1-143) 1980
- 1983. Axelrod, Daniel New Pleistocene conifer records, coastal California University of California Publications in Geological Sciences 127: (1-108) 1983