Arlington Cave, Santa Rosa Island
Arlington Cave, Santa Rosa Island, located in Arlington Canyon, was excavated by Phil Orr in 1949.
- “There, for the first time in the Santa Barbara region, [Indian] burials were found in a cave. This island cave high on a steep rocky wall is about twenty by forty feet in size and daylight reaches all parts of it. Small groups have inhabited it for hundreds of years. Deposits of shell and ash within the cave reach a depth of six feet, and outside the cave a huge midden had been built up and then eroded away.... The skeletal material has proved to be the best preserved yet found.” [SBMNH Leaflet Winter 1949-1950].