AVALON, SANTA CATALINA ISLAND HOTELS had been developed by the turn of the century, an outgrowth of tent camps and organized tent businesses such as Camp Swanfledt and Coronado Tent City. Some of the earliest hotels in order of construction included:
- Avalon Home
- Metropole (1888)
- Spence's Villa (c. 1891)
- Glenmore (1891)
- Catalina Hotel (1892-1915; 1916-current)
- Grand View Hotel, Avalon, Santa Catalina Island (1892-1915+)
- Miramar (1892-1915)
- Sunset Hotel (1892)
- Glidden Flats, Santa Catalina Island (after 1893)
- Island Villa, Santa Catalina Island (1895)
- Stamford House (c. 1895)
- Bay View (c. 1898-1915)
- Avalon Inn (1899-current)
- Central (1903-1915)
- Pacific (pre-1903-1915)
- Hermosa Hotel (pre-1905-current)
- Del Mar (c. 1907-1915)
Many of the early hotels were destroyed by the Avalon fire of 1915.
» Avalon Inn; Bay View; Catalina House; Dew Drop Inn; Eddy’s Terrace; Glenmore; Grand View Hotel; Island Villa; Marilla Cottage; Metropole; Sea Beach Hotel
AVALON, CATALINA ISLAND IN 1907 (survived fire)
- Hotel Atwater (Santa Catalina Island Company) (1920-+)
- Metropole (1888-1915) built by George Shatto » Metropole
- Hotel Rose
- Saint Catherine Hotel, Avalon, Santa Catalina Island (1918-1966)
- Island Villa, Santa Catalina Island (1895-
- Las Casitas Bungalows
- Pavilion Lodge, Santa Catalina Island (1957- )
AVALON HOTELS 1916:
- Avalon Inn. 309 Beacon St. Developed from Avalon Cottage. Inn est. 1899-current.
- Bay View. 124 Whittley Ave. c. 1898-1915 fire.
- Catalina. 129 Whittley Ave. 1892-1915 fire; 1916-current First hotel rebuilt after the fire.
- Central. 1903-1915 fire.
- Del Mar. c. 1907-1915 fire.
- Glenmore. 118 Sumner Ave. 1891-escaped 1915 fire—YES; owner E. J. Whitney in 1917
- Glidden [Glidden Flats] after 1893-
- Grand View Hotel, Avalon, Santa Catalina Island 1892-1915 fire. -escaped 1915 fire
- Hermosa. Pre-1905-current.
- Miramar. 1892-1915 fire.
- Pacific. Pre-1903 and destroyed by fire 1915.
- Stamford House. 125 Metropole. c. 1895-? Gone now.
- Sunset Hotel 708 Crescent Ave. 1892; next the Catherine Hotel; now the Trailhead
LATER AVALON HOTELS:
In the News~
July 11, 1916 [TI/Avalon]: “The new Catalina Hotel was opened for public inspection several days ago. A large number took advantage of the opportunity to view the interior of the first hotel to be erected since the fire. Proprietor Gill has been a resident of the island for 16 years, and he is to be congratulated on the rapidity of the work as well as for the excellent modern hotel that he has built…”