Banning Shipbuilding Company
Banning Shipbuilding Company was established by the sons of Phinneas Banning, William, Joseph and Hancock, in 1869. It was located on Mormon Island in the Inner Harbor of San Pedro Bay. It became a part of the Wilmington Transportation Company in 1884.
» Wilmington Transportation Company
In the News~
October 26, 1900 [LAT/SP]: “The tugs Wizard and Hercules, which were the property of the former breakwater contractors, Heldmaier & Neu, have been taken to the Banning shipyards on Mormon Island for repairs.”
June 2, 1903 [SBMP]: “The Brothers, a freight schooner, brought over a load of 549 sheep Sunday from Santa Rosa Island for the local markets. She will go to San Pedro today, when her captain, Fred Widing, will take command of the new schooner [Santa Rosa Island] recently completed for Vickers and Vail, owners of Santa Rosa, to ply between this port and the island. The new vessel will be the largest of the local fleet, equipped with a 92-horse-power gasoline engine. She was recently launched at the Banning ship yards.”
February 16, 1904 [LAT/SP]: “…In addition to the vessel launched today [Cabrillo], there has been built at the Banning shipyards the Warrior, Hermosa and Cricket for the company; the steamer Eureka, built for the Pacific Steamship Company, now in passenger service between San Francisco and Eureka, and two smaller vessels — the Santa Rosa Island and Torqua. All these boats were built under the supervision of William Muller…”