Black Hill, Santa Cruz Island

From Islapedia
Revision as of 00:20, 10 August 2015 by MDaily (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Black Hill, Santa Cruz Island is a survey station established by Stehman Forney in 1874. Forney described its location

“on a brushy dark-looking hill about half way between Kinton triangulation and White Bluff triangulation. The station was marked with four stone bottles set in the ground, neck down, even with the surface.”

The station is marked on Forney’s 1875 survey map. In 1934, Charles K. Green relocated the site and noted:

“there is no brush on this hill and it is not half way between triangulation stations Kinton and White Bluff. There is no station White Bluff. This station is on the ridge that leads up from triangulation station Kinton. The brow of the black hill just clears the hill back of Kinton and is visible from that station to the SE. The best way to reach this station is to follow up the bed of the first canyon south of Los Sauces canyon keeping to the right.”

A standard stamped disk was set in concrete in 1934. The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.

  • [UTM 11: North 3,765,688.221 East 234,889.163].