Buena Vista, Santa Cruz Island
Buena Vista, Santa Cruz Island [Sp. good view] is the location of a former Caire out-ranch cabin site toward the western end of the hanging valley portion of the Central Valley. Symmes [l922:37] describes the pasturelands of the Buena Vista as:
- “a range in the interior of the island which stretches from Buena Vista east to Portazuela, and includes both sides of the head of the Central Valley. It is composed of cuchillos [ridges] running down from the (northern) ridge and intervening canyons. Generally it is rough with some flats and gentle slopes. The soil on the south side of the canyon is a red gravely clay which washes easily if the natural cover is removed. On the north side it is chiefly adobe underlain by volcanic rock with volcanic peaks above. The water supply is from the perennial stream flowing near the head of the canyon that disappears in the gravels and reappears near Portezuela. In addition there are a number of springs in the side canyons. The range is adapted for wither cattle or sheep, and it produces a very good stand of feed when protected.”
In May 1932 museum director Ralph Hoffmann reported:
- “About four miles west of the Main Ranch, a long slope leads to a plateau, above which rises Picacho Diablo. On the plateau is a cabin, built many years ago of poplar trees from a nearby canyon. The cabin is tenanted for most of the year only by white-footed mice.”
The May 1936 Museum Leaflet reported Egmont Rett and William Hughes spent from March 17-March 27 on Santa Cruz Island
- “amid gales, downpours, and even hail storms” where they “sought shelter from the gale in an ancient tumble-down cabin on a high plateau in the very heart of the island.” Today, scattered boards are all that remain of the Buena Vista cabin.