CARLIN, Thomas and Family

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search


Tom and Katherine Carlin with their children, Mary and Tom Jr. on
San Clemente Island, 1941
Group near sand dunes. Left to right rear: Lt. Theo Murphy, LaLa Murphy, Katherine Carlin, Tom Carlin,
Hugh Carlin (visiting)
San Clemente Island, 1941
Glen Abbey Memorial Park, San Diego

CARLIN, Thomas F. (1903-1968) and family lived on San Clemente Island in the late 1930s. Carlin was in charge of the airstrip on top of the island, and the family lived next to the airfield. The Carlin and Flynn families were close friends while living on San Clemente Island. Marines would take the children to school and to the movies in Wilson Cove.


Thomas Carlin (1903-1968) = Katherine Eitzen (1904-1987)

  • Mary Carlin (1930-2006) = [1958] Joe Larry King
  • Thomas Carlin Jr. (b. 1936)


Top of Page



In the News~

July 3, 2008 [Coronado Eagle Journal]: “Mary Carlin King-Ross, a lifelong resident of Coronado, died peacefully at Sharp Hospital on June 23 after a long illness. Mrs. King-Ross was born Mary Carlin on Jan. 24, 1934 in San Diego to Thomas Francis Carlin a Naval Sommander, and Katherine Eitzen Carlin, Coronado historian and co-author of "Coronado, the Enchanted Isle". Her parents settled in Coronado from Pensacola, Fla. and built a house on Glorietta Boulevard in 1939, which was one of the only houses in the area at the tie of construction. The Carlin family home was designated as a historical landmark in 1986. She enjoyed an idyllic upbringing in Coronado, living briefly with her parents on San Clemente Island as part of her father's Naval career. Her only sibling, Thomas Francis Carlin, Jr., was one of California's founding surfers, professional diver and early member of the United States Navy's Underwater Demolition Team, or UDT (class 16,) later known as the Navy SEALs. When Mary was young she was able to enjoy some of the sublime days of Coronado's history, when the beach was filled with dashing aviators and the Hotel Del was filled with movie stars. During this time she held a few jobs, which she remembered and cherished throughout her life. Employment during these years included working for former mayor Robin Goodenough, the Coronado Recreation Department and the beloved Miss Bunny's School. In 1958 Mary was married to Naval Aviator Joe Larry King, originally from Brownwood, Texas. The couple made their home in Coronado and had three daughters: Mary Katherine (Katy) [Fallon], Anne [McCoy] and Sarah King... ”