CATALINA SOUVENIR SPOONS: BELL TRADING POST, ALUBQUERQUE, NM
CATALINA SOUVENIR SPOONS: BELL TRADING POST, ALUBQUERQUE, NM (1932-1969) Bell Trading Post was founded in 1932 during the worst of the Great Depression, by Jack Michelson and his wife Mildred. Bell Trading Post got its name from Jack’s wife, whose maiden name was Bell. Choosing a location along the route of the newly established highway “Route 66”. Following the business plan of famed entrepreneur Fred Harvey, Jack hoped to support his family selling Native American jewelry to travelers passing through Albuquerque New Mexico. Throughout the 1930s Bell Trading Post survived thanks to his location on Route 66. Roosevelt’s New Deal brought the CCC, while Truckers used the road for transport.
According to Santa Catalina Island spoon historian, Harry V. Merrick, Bell Trading Post appears to have made at least one post-1929 Catalina souvenir spoon design in both teaspoon and demitasse sizes.