Catalina Harbor, Santa Catalina Island
Catalina Harbor, Santa Catalina Island (“Cat Harbor”) was charted by the U.S. Coast Survey in 1853. It is Santa Catalina Island’s most protected harbor, as well as one of two U.S. Coast Guard-designated “Year-round Safe Harbor” in Southern California. It has 96 moorings and anchorage for more than 200. Ballast Point, a natural sand spit, extends across a portion of the Harbor entrance.
There is a public dinghy dock, on-shore picnic facilities. free pump-out services for Cat Harbor boaters are offered by contacting the Harbor Patrol on VHF Channel 09. From the dock, it’s a half-mile walk on flat terrain to the village of Two Harbors. A shuttle is available on summer weekends.
Shipwrecks in the harbor include: Margaret C. (c. 1926); Intrepid (1926); Charles F. Crocker (c. 1929); Ning Po (c. 1938); Palmyra (c. 1938) and a sardine-fishing boat (1948).
DROWNED AT CATALINA HARBOR: