China Camp, Santa Rosa Island

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search
China Camp, Santa Rosa Island, 1965

China Camp, Santa Rosa Island is located on the south shore of the island. In the late 1930s this simple, three-room wood house was built as a shelter for cowboys working in the area. A few years later, an addition was built onto the eastern side of the house by Sam Wise, second husband of Margaret Vail (1896-1957). Wise and others landed planes in the vicinity for easy access.

Al Vail told the story of arriving here on the Vaquero to offload wood and supplies. He removed his boots to row the skiff ashore, only to get stranded on land due to high waves. Bootless, he rode a horse back to the Main Ranch the next day.


Top of Page