Coast Guard Beach, San Nicolas Island
Coast Guard Beach, San Nicolas Island was the site chosen by the Navy in 1951-18952 to create a small harbor on the island. Within less than a year after completion, it silted up and became unusable. In 1955 the Corp of Engineers Los Angeles District recommended extension of the breakwater to alleviate the silting. The extension was constructed in 1957 and the harbor was dredged at the same time. The problem was not solved, and the harbor again sanded up in short order.