Coast Guard housing, East Anacapa Island
COAST GUARD housing on East Anacapa Island, was completed in 1932. In 1911, a 50-foot metal tower with a light atop it had been constructed on the tip of East Anacapa. In clear weather, the light could be seen from a distance of 20 miles. But a larger and more visible light was needed. In the early 1930s, the Coast Guard built a complex of buildings atop East Anacapa Island, a facility they manned for over 50 years.
The original complex consisted of facilities at Landing Cove (hoist and hoist house); the light house the fog horn building, four residences, an oil house, a large "church" that houses two gallon water tanks,
Built in a Spanish Revival style, in 1991 the remaining buildings were placed on the National Register of Historic Places.