Corliss

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search

Corliss (#210964) (1913-1961), a 39.5-foot wood-hulled schooner-rigged gasoline powered passenger boat owned by H. Bay Webster from 1920-1946. Under his ownership, she had a schooner canvas which never sailed, but rather Webster used her three cylinder Corliss engine for which she was named. Captain Webster had the lease on Anacapa Island from 1912-1917 during which time he used his vessel Anacapa. His active life as a sailor ended with the outbreak of World War II, and he sold Corliss in 1946 to finance a home. She was then converted into a fishing vessel and had four additional owners until she foundered in San Diego Bay in May 1961. [MVUS 1964]



In the News~

August 18, 1920 [Santa Ana Register]: “New Tugboat in Bay at Newport. Blaboa Beach, Aug. 19—Balboa's new tugboat, Corliss, H. Bay Webster, owner, and Morris L. Webster, master, is on the ways at Rogers Bros., today for repairs and a complete overhauling before being placed in commission. The Corliss is an 8-ton vessel, favored with a 38-horse-power Corliss engine, and was designed by the Corliss Engine Company for a dredger tender at San Pedro. On completion of her contract with the dredger concern, she was sold to San Diego parties and used as a tug, operating between San Diego and Lower California points. The recent unrest in Mexico has caused a great slump in the boating business between San Diego and our war-torn neighbor to the south, with the result that the Corliss went into the discard and Captain Webster picker her up through the agency of W. F. Stafford, who accompanied the Websters to San Diego a few days ago in the webster launch, Anacapa, where title to the new tug was transferred to H. Bay Webster, and the captaincy to H. Bay Webster's eldest son, Morris L. Webster, formerly master of the tug Husky, of the Los Angeles harbor department.”


October 1926: “The fishing boat went ashore on the Ventura beach early in October, 1926, was badly damaged, and lay shored up on the beach all winter. The following summer she was sufficiently repaired to make the trip in safety and with a degree of comfort down the coast a hundred and some miles to Balboa — nearly two hundred by the course we took, via Anacapa, Santa Barbara and Catalina islands. Further repairs were to be made at Newport Beach before the crippled Corliss would be an honest-to-goodness seagoing launch again, an so, along the latter part of July, 1927, she slid back into the water, and on August 2nd the leisurely trip down the coast, under sail, was begun…”


June 10, 1928 [SBMP]: “Mr. and Mrs. Bay Webster reached Summerland yesterday in their cruiser, the Corliss, after a four day cruise from Balboa Island with a party of friends. During the trip they visited Anacapa Island and Santa Barbara. Today they will hold open house for their friends. Their boar is anchored near Summerland which will be their headquarters during the summer season, while Stearn’s Wharf is being reconstructed.”