Cricket~

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search

Cricket~ (#127770) (1903-1917+), 44.7-foot steam yacht with a 38-horse-power gasoline engine built in Wilmington, California by William Muller for Hancock Banning in 1903. Cricket was named after the 1858 wood-hulled steamship operated by Phineas Banning, which was the first ship to make regular crossings (in four hours) to Santa Catalina Island in the 1880s. [Huntington. Banning Album 180(602). Cricket at anchor at Johnson’s Landing, Emerald Bay, Summer of 1915, with La Paloma, (613) in 1916.]



In the News~

July 20, 1903 [LAT]: “Avalon. The Catalina Island Yacht Club had their annual island outing, coming over on the Cricket, the Banning’s yacht…”


August 31, 1903 [SBI]: “Hancock Banning, one of the owners of Catalina Island, and a party of friends from the south, who have been spending a few days in Santa Barbara, returned yesterday to their southern homes. During their visit here, the party took a trip to Santa Cruz Island, leaving early Saturday morning and returning in the evening. The cruise was made in the Banning yacht Cricket and the Sinclair yacht Lurline… Mr. Banning declared that Santa Cruz, in its general features, was quite equal to Catalina and he predicted a great future of the place as a resort when once its improvement is undertaken…”


September 12, 1903 [LAT/SCat]: “…General A. W. Barrett and Hancock Banning arrived last evening on the Banning private yacht, Cricket. The members of the party were guests of the Banning Company…”


February 16, 1904 [LAT/SP]: “Another vessel has been added to the fleet of the Banning Company… The Cabrillo, in all her appointments, is a beautiful vessel… In addition to the vessel launched today, there has been built at the Banning shipyards the Warrior, Hermosa and Cricket for the company; the steamer Eureka built for the North Pacific Steamship Company, now in the passenger service between San Francisco and Eureka, and two smaller vessel, the Santa Rosa Island and Torqua. All these boats were designed and built under the supervision of William Muller…”


April 26, 1904 [LAT/SCat]: “Avalon. J. A. Graves, vice-president of the Farmers’ and Merchants’ Bank, accompanied by his wife, Miss Zobala, Miss Alice Graves and Masters J. A. and F. E. Graves, took the stage ride to the Isthmus yesterday. At that point the party was met by the Cricket and returned to Avalon, and at an early hour this morning the same boat conveyed them to San Pedro.”


July 4, 1904 [LAT/SCat]: “…The Cricket has brought over a number of prominent people…”


July 5, 1904 [LAT/SCat]: “…Commodore Jenkins did not cruise to Catalina in the flagship Nautilus, but went with Mrs. Jenkins in charge of the Cricket, a steamer placed at his disposal by the Bannings. On the Cricket were a good many of the guests who came from San Francisco to San Pedro on the new Catalina steamer Cabrillo…”


August 11, 1904 [LAT/SCat]: “Avalon. Captain Hancock Banning, with the Cricket, this morning took a party of twenty-four personal friends… to the Isthmus…”


August 18, 1904 [LAT/SCat]: “Avalon. John C. Cline, Collector of Customs, has returned from a visit to Mrs. Charles Howland at San Clemente Island. The Banning yacht Cricket was placed at his services…”


January 2, 1908 [LAT/SCat]: “Avalon. J. B. Banning, Jr., who, with two of his student friends, has been spending several days shooting at the Isthmus, returned to the mainland today in the launch Cricket.”


August 13, 1911 [LAT/SCat]: “Avalon. …The yachts which will be placed at the disposal of the club for the outing are the Banning boats Cricket, Companero, Catalina and La Paloma and Fred Walton’s craft…”


April 21, 1914 [TI/Avalon]: “Hancock Banning and a party of friends, on the yacht Cricket, visited Avalon Friday. After a trip to the Isthmus, the party returned to San Pedro.”


April 28, 1914 [TI/Avalon]: “The yacht Cricket arrived Sunday with Mr. Hancock and party. This is probably the last trip of the Cricket to the island, as the boat is to be sold as soon as the new one is launched. The new craft was designed by a San Francisco firm, and is being built by J. H. Muller of San Pedro, and will be capable of making 17 miles an hour.”


July 18, 1916 [SBMP]: “The steam yacht Cricket, owned and sailed by Mr. Banning, son of the Catalina Island magnate, was in port last Sunday with a party of eight young men, including the owner, for a few hours, the excursionists having come over from the islands, around which they had been cruising for a week or ten days. The Cricket is a beautiful craft, fifty feet long, and with a fine record for speed.”


April 17, 1917 [TI/Avalon]: “The schooner Cricket, Captain Hancock Banning, is in port.”