DEATHS: SANTA BARBARA ISLAND
19th CENTURY DEATHS
- 1862 John Coats, Englishman thrown from a sealing boat by the surf and drowned July 10.
20th CENTURY DEATHS
- 1962 James W. Buckner (51), drowned while skin diving at Santa Barbara Island on November 3.
- 1962 Walter H. Thomas (57), drowned while skin diving at Santa Barbara Island on November 29.
- 1965 August J. Kaferata (45), drowned skin diving off the boat Molly Bee on December 4.
- 1987 Patrick Paul McQuistion (24), drowned along with two others when his vessel Explorador, loaded with urchins, sank in heavy seas on December 15. Six were saved.
- 1987 Kelly Ann Pace (27), drowned in the sinking of the Explorador on December 15.
- 1987 3rd victim unnamed drowned in the sinking of the Explorador on December 15.
21st CENTURY DEATHS
- 2013 Rick Hadley, (54) freediver drowned diving for lobsters on September 28.
- 2017 Rita Ashman, (58) dived as a result of a diving accident at Santa Barbara Island on August 17.