DeFOREST, Lockwood (1850-1932), New York-born landscape painter who settled in Santa Barbara in 1919 until his death. His works include many Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz Island coastal scenes. Most of his works adhere to a 9 3/4 by 14 inch size, oil painted on paper on an ochre ground. Thumbtack corner holes are often apparent where he attached the paper to his field easel. Margaret Eaton reported a visit to Pelican Bay by both Lockwood DeForest senior as well as junior. [Eaton 1980: 204].
In the News~
October 1, 1912 [SBMP]: “The Charm left Santa Barbara Saturday morning with thirty-three passengers, teachers, normal school students, artists and others. After an enjoyable trip across the channel, the party landed at Valdez Harbor, first having viewed the wonders of Painted Cave. The remainder of the afternoon was spent exploring. Trouble with the machinery prevented the start home on schedule time, and the party camped as best they could for the night. Sunday morning two fishing launches, one of them, Larco’s Miramar, appeared, and later the Ellen, Captain Zankich, chartered by Prof. A.C. Olney, whose wife was with the Charm party. The Charm was then given a rapid tow across the channel, the three launches furnishing the power with the Ellen leading the tandem... In the party were Judge E. C. Overman… Lockwood DeForest, Mr. and Mrs. Soule…”
August 16, 1913 [SBDN]: “Mr. and Mrs. Windsor Soule, Mrs. Soule’s father, Lockwood deForest, and a party of about fifteen left this morning for Friar’s Harbor on the launch Otter. The company will spend Sunday on the island and will return early Monday morning to this city. Captain Gourley will take campers on a fishing expedition near the islands today. Sunday, Captain Vasquez will take over a large party of excursionists, including a number of delegates to the electrical convention at the Potter Hotel.”
August 23, 1913 [SBMP]: “Among recent visitors to Santa Cruz Island was Lockwood DeForest, the celebrated artist, who, according to his friends, was very deeply impressed with the scenic grandeur of the isle. Mr. DeForest and a party of friends camped at Fry’s Harbor, and with captain Gourley’s launch Vamoose at their disposal, cruised along the island coast from Prisoners’ Harbor to the west end. The picturesque caves were explored, the launch being navigated to the innermost chamber of Painted Cave, a distance of 500 feet or more from the mouth. The party returned to the outer chamber where a picnic lunch was enjoyed. Mr. DeForest made a number of sketches, returning with much material from what is really virgin territory for artists. Another member of the party, adept in the art of colored photography, made good use of his camera and obtained a number of striking views. The island has been pictured this year as never before.”