Dixon, Santa Cruz Island

From Islapedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Dixon, Santa Cruz Island is a survey station established in 1874 by Stehman Forney. It was located on the south side of the island:

“on a high peak of the ridge forming the west side of Cañada Posa, not at the highest point, but at the extreme southwest end of the long rather level top.”

It was named for William Dixon in Forney's party. It appears on Forney’s 1875 island survey map. The site was relocated by Charles K. Green in 1934 who added:

“The best way to get reach the station is to make a boat landing [at Cañada Posa] and climb up the west ridge of a gulch leading up the face of the hill.”

The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.

It is located at 717 feet in elevation. This triangulation station appears on the Santa Cruz Island Sheet A topographic map.


  • [UTM 11: North 3,764,355.237 East 234,925.733].