Dos Pinos, Santa Cruz Island

From Islapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Main Ranch showing winery, alfalfa shocked in Campo Dos Pinos, part of vineyard in Church District, owners residence, eucalyptus windbreak and typical area of brush covered northern slope of southern ridge.
Santa Cruz Island, Symmes, 1922
Dos Pinos, Santa Cruz Island

Dos Pinos, Santa Cruz Island [Sp. two pines], the name of the pasture directly in front of the lower winery. Dos Pinos was named for the two historic Italian stone pines planted in the field. In the late 1970s, one of the trees died, and Carey Stanton had another one replanted. Years later when photographer Bill Dewey was retaking some historic views, he could not figure out how one of the pines had moved!