Farrell, Santa Rosa Island

From Islapedia
Revision as of 14:51, 26 May 2015 by MDaily (talk | contribs) (Created page with " <span style="color:#FF0000">'''Farrell, Santa Rosa Island'''</span> is a survey station established by William E. Greenwell in 1860 and reestablished July 10, 1872 by FORNE...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Farrell, Santa Rosa Island is a survey station established by William E. Greenwell in 1860 and reestablished July 10, 1872 by Stehman Forney. The station was marked with a block of limestone 3 inches by 3 inches at the top, with the letters U.S.C.S. cut in the top.

“The signal is on the west face of the island, about midway between the two points. It stands on a conspicuous smooth hill which can be seen and is prominent from any point of the west face. Immediately in the vicinity of the signal, the top of the hill is covered with small shells. On the west side of the hill, and at the base of it, a board fence is constructed and continues on down to the south face of the island. The signal is at the top of the hill east of this fence. On the north face of the hill about 200 feet down from the signal is a small spring of good water.”

The station was revisited by Robert W. Knox in 1934 who noted:

“Recovered as described except that the spring below the station is now dry. About 400 meters west of the station there is now a wire fence that runs north and south across the island. The best way to reach the station is to make a boat landing at Cluster Point and make west along the beach to the wire fence that runs north up the high flat-top mesa. Follow that fence to the main ridge of the island and turn right up to the station. This route leads to the station Fence also. ”

The station was marked with a standard disk stamped FARRELL NO. 1 1860-1934. A reference mark was also set with a disk stamped FARRELL NO. 2 1860-1934. Farrell is located at an elevation of 1040 feet. This triangulation station appears on the Santa Rosa Island West topographic map. [UTM 10: North 3,761,588 East 761,042].