Fraser Point, Santa Cruz Island

From Islapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Fraser Point, Santa Cruz Island, 1927

Fraser Point, Santa Cruz Island (Frazer Point, Frazier’s Point), is located at the extreme west end of the island. From this point it is about 6.5 miles to Santa Rosa Island. The point was named in honor of United States Coast Survey employee, W. Fraser.

The place name appears on the June 1882 U.S. Coast Survey map Pacific Coast from Santa Monica to Point Conception, including the Santa Barbara Channel, California, J.E. Hilgard, Superintendent. This place name also appears on the Santa Cruz Island Sheet A topographic map. When the island was partitioned in 1925, this location was included in Tract No. 1 appointed to Helene A. Caire. Vessels wrecked here include: Elaine (1961)



In the News~

March 12, 1910 [SBMP]: “...The U.S.S. Maryland anchored off Skunk Point on the southeast end of Santa Rosa Island, the California off Frazier’s Point on the northwest extremity of Santa Cruz [Island], while the Pennsylvania and Colorado had anchorage in Beecher’s Cove...”