Frenchy’s Cave, Anacapa Island
Frenchy’s Cave, Anacapa Island, was known as Yates Cave, Anacapa Island up until the time Raymond “Frenchy” LeDreau moved to West Anacapa Island in 1928. The cave is about 2000 feet west of Frenchy’s Cove on the north side of West Anacapa Island. It is marked on the Anacapa Island U.S.G.S. topographic map. The cave has a water entrance and a cobble beach adjoining an unusual sloping sand dune inside its huge interior chamber. During Prohibition it was used by Frenchy to store bootlegged liquor. In March 1946, Bernice Brown survived the sinking of the Nancy B by swimming to Frenchy’s Cove. She was found alive fourteen days after the sinking, and was the lone survivor.