Freshwater Cave, Anacapa Island
Freshwater Cave, Anacapa Island, also known as Indian Water Cave, is about 300 feet west of Frenchy’s Cave on the north shore of West Anacapa Island. The entrance to the cave is on dry land, with a 50-foot high, 35-foot wide entrance. Within the cave is one of the precious few places on Anacapa Island where a spring of fresh water seeps from the rocks into artificial basin-shaped cavities. In 1890, Lorenzo Yates took note of these basins and of the fact the cave contained evidence of former Indian occupation.