Difference between revisions of "Grand View Hotel, Avalon, Santa Catalina Island"

From Islapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
<span style="color:#FF0000">'''Grand View Hotel'''</span>
 
<span style="color:#FF0000">'''Grand View Hotel'''</span>
  
 +
[[File:GVHOTEL.png|450px|thumbnail|center|<center>Grand View Hotel, Santa Catalina Island, 1910 </center>]]
  
  

Revision as of 15:39, 7 November 2020

Grand View Hotel

Grand View Hotel, Santa Catalina Island, 1910


Top of Page


In the News~

July 24, 1895 [LAT]: “The Grand View Hotel, Catalina, has become very popular. Everything nice at reasonable prices.”


January 2, 1902 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “The Hotel Metropole dining room has been enlarged, also the Grand View with its reading room and the Japanese room for a recreational hall.”


September 17, 1904 [LAT/SCat]: “Avalon. George E. Weaver, proprietor of the Grand View Hotel, returned to Los Angeles yesterday where he had been to arrange for some extensive improvements in his hostelry. The improvements include the raising of the wing on the corner of Marilla Avenue and extending 100 feet on Crescent Avenue, making it a three story and basement building, and the lower story will be arranged to contain the office, ladies’ sitting room, billiard room dining room and kitchen. The space occupied will be 60 x 100, and there will be no solid outside walls, but all will be enclosed with glass, making a handsome improvement. Work will be begun as soon as the material ordered can reach here.”


June 16, 1903 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “Francis Farquhar and Mrs. Farquhar and son, F. F. Jr. are at the Grand View Hotel for awhile.”


September 20, 1904 [LAT/SCat]: “Avalon. Active work was begun on the Grand View Hotel improvements this morning, and tonight the hotel will close its doors for a month, while another story is added and the office and dining room locations are changed to better accommodate the patrons.”


September 21, 1903 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “The Grand View Hotel will stay open the year around.”


November 28, 1903 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “A carnival event was held in the Grand View Hotel with townspeople having a ball in the Japanese Room.”


December 7, 1903 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “The Grand View Hotel is converting porches into sun parlors with glass so they will be cozy for winter tourists.”


November 30, 1904 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “The Grand View Hotel was raised and one story built underneath with office, dining room, ladies’ parlor and billiard hall.”


December 1, 1904 [LAT]: “Avalon. The various improvements projected for the island recently are mostly nearing completion. The Grand View Hotel, which has been raised boldly and another story added underneath, the office the ladies’ parlor, billiard hall, dining room and kitchen being transferred to the new quarters which front the main street at the street level, are now almost ready to be opened to the public.”


January 1, 1905 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “The Grand View Hotel has also opened.”


June 13, 1905 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “The Grand View Hotel was sold, one of the investors was J. P. Finnegan.”

February 15, 1905 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “Miss Louis C. Whitney has been two years at the Grandview Hotel.”


October 17, 1905 Catherine MacLean Loud diary: “Ralph Weaver of the Grandview Hotel, married Miss Louise Whitney of Bay City, Michigan.”