U.S.S. Gregory (1943-1971) was a Fletcher-class destroyer of the United States Navy, the second Navy ship named for Rear Admiral Francis H. Gregory (1780–1866), who served from the War of 1812 to the Civil War. Gregory was launched by the Todd-Pacific Ship Building Co., Tacoma, Washington, May 8, 1944; sponsored by Miss Ann McGuigan, daughter of Captain McGuigan, superintendent of construction at Tacoma; and commissioned July 29, 1944, Commander Bruce McCandless commanding. Gregory was decommissioned at San Diego, Calif. on February 1, 1964 and entered the reserve. She was struck from the Navy List May 1, 1966, renamed Indoctrinator, and served as an inoperable trainer at San Diego from May 20, 1966 to January 8, 1971. The ship was grounded on San Clemente Island, Southern California on March 4, 1971 to serve as a target.