Gull, Santa Cruz Island
Gull, Santa Cruz Island, a survey station established in 1874 by Stehman Forney. It was located “on a high hill covered with brush and cactus, on a small ridge south of Black Hill triangulation, about 700 yards from the shore line. It was marked with 4 stone bottles set in the ground, neck down. The place name appears on Forney’s 1875 island survey map. In 1934, Charles K. Green reported the station lost.
- “One of the old bottle reference marks was found lying on the ground, but no indications of the location of the station could be found. It is probable that the rapid erosion on this hilltop has washed the station location away.”
The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.
- [UTM 11: North 3,765,764.474 East 233,912.378]