High Mount, Santa Cruz Island
High Mount, Santa Cruz Island is a 1581-foot peak along the Montañon, the north/south ridge to the east of No Man’s Land. It is located immediately on the trail from Scorpion Harbor to the Main Ranch. William E. Greenwell placed a survey station on the peak on July 30, 1857.
- “Looking from Prisoners’ Harbor to the eastward is a high range of wooded mountains running apparently across the island. The signal is on this range. The best way of getting to it is to start from Mondran’s Rancho. From here a trail leads up the mountain, and so on to Dr. Shaw’s. Keep this trail, it is the only one that leads from Mondran's to westward and so can be easily followed. The signal is immediately on the trail, on a peak of the mountain some 2500 feet above the ocean and about the highest elevation you reach on the trail before descending on the west slope.”
Stehman Forney relocated Greenwell’s station during his survey in 1875.
The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.
This triangulation station appears on the Santa Cruz Island Sheet D topographic map.
- [UTM 11: North 3,768,094.920 East 261,397.826]