Isla de la Santa Cruz
Isla de la Santa Cruz [Sp. Island of the Holy Cross], Santa Cruz Island. During the 1769 expedition to Alta California led by Portola, the San Antonio, under the command of Juan Perez, visited Santa Cruz Island with Fr. Juan Vizcaino and Fr. Francisco Gomez aboard. One of the priests reportedly left a walking staff topped by a small iron cross on the island which was later returned to him by the island natives. The island was named La Isla de la Santa Cruz (Island of the Holy Cross) for this incident.