JUMP, James “Jimmy”

From Islapedia
James “Jimmy” Jump
Mountain View Cemetery, Altadena, CA
Mountain View Cemetery, Altadena, CA
Jimmy Jump's restored Ranger
Santa Barbara Maritime Museum


JUMP, James W. “Jimmy” (1861-1938) was born in Delaware on April 3, 1861. He became one of Santa Catalina Island’s most outstanding sport fishermen. As past president of the Tuna Club (1924-1925) and first commodore of the Catalina Island Yacht Club (1924), Jimmy Jump was so respected that at his death in 1938 both organizations put their flags at half-mast. Jump moved his family to Southern California in about 1909. He was a member of the Jonathan Club as well as the Al Malaikah Temple; he was a very active Shriner. His interest in sport fishing became legendary. During the first 50 years of The Tuna Club, Jump achieved more angling honors than any other club member. Jump was a committed light tackle fisherman, one of the few members of the Tuna Club to win all six varieties of trophy buttons awarded to those who caught Catalina game fish on the Club’s specified tackles.

Jump fished from his fishing cruiser, the Ranger, often with his son, Bob, as gaffer. His frequent long and grueling battles with fish resulted in several phenomenal catches: a broadbill swordfish weighing 365 pounds; a bluefin tuna weighing 57 pounds that set a record for three-six tackle; and a world-record bluefin that weighed in at 145-1/2 pounds. In recognition of his achievements as a light tackle angler, the Tuna Club gave Jump a lifelong membership, as well as the affectionate title of ‘King of the Light-Tacklers.’ Jimmy Jump ranks among the angling elite who have caught two swordfish in one day. Jump's double came in 1928 off Catalina Island. Hailed affectionately as "Jimmy" by scores of friends in Avalon, Jump was known and loved for his philanthropic work as much as he was respected for his mastery of angling. The Catalina Islander noted, "There is no angler who fishes more consistently or knows these waters better than does Angler Jump." In 1998 he was inducted posthumously into the International Game Fish Association.

James W. Jump (1861-1938) = Blanche V. Fouke (1863-1940)

  • Mary Elizabeth Jump [Mackey] (1885-1953) Avalon Cemetery = Percy E. Mackey (1887-1971)
* Frances Mackey [Cowell] (1918-1982)
* Blanche Mackey [Belky] (1921-2015)
  • Robert B. Jump (1889-1960) [SS#547-14-7054] musician
* Dorothy Jump (c. 1912- )
  • Eugene W. Jump (1893-1958) [SS#560-16-1627] = [1913] Adeline Taube (b. 1895) (divorced before 1930)
* son Eugene W. Jump (1918- )


http://www.igfa.org/Museum/HOF-Jump.aspx



In the News~

November 14, 1913 [SBMP]: “The utter annihilation of the abalones and crawfish in southern waters, unless something is done soon, is the gist of the report that is to be made in two weeks to the State Fish and Game Commission by J. A. Coxe, who has been investigating conditions for three weeks. Coxe is the San Pedro expert on deep sea fish with the Tufts—Lyon firm, and has been studying the question for years. A month ago he was commissioned by the fish commission to make a cruise through the islands off the Southern California coast and make a report on conditions as he found them. He returned last week from a trip of three weeks, on which he was accompanied by J. W. Jump and Smith Warren, of San Pedro. The result of their observation is published by the Catalina Wireless…”


August 1, 1916 [TI/Avalon]: “Captain J. W. Jump and party, in the launch Sea Scout, spent the weekend in this port.”


September 19, 1916 [TI/Avalon]: “Mr. James W. Jump, owner of the launch Sea Scout, with Dr. J. A. Wiborn as his guest, left for San Clemente Island yesterday morning.”


September 26, 1916 [TI/Avalon]: “The Sea Scout outfit report the Clemente waters literally alive with swordfish.”


September 18, 1917 [TI/Avalon]: “The new deep sea cruiser and fish chaser of Commodore J. W. Jump, just launched from the yard of Fellows and Stewart, San Pedro, is a work of marine art—a crowning masterpiece in the firmament of angling equipment… Captain George Cornell has consented to act as navigator on the maiden trip of the Ranger, in a cruise among the Channel Islands…”


October 9, 1917 [TI/Avalon]: “Designed by Homer Evans, superintendent for the Fellows & Stewart Company of Wilmington, the Ranger, owned by Commodore J. W. Jump of Los Angeles, is considered to be the very last word in launch building….”


March 8, 1919 [Sausalito News]: “Another world record in big game fishing was shattered in the Catalina Island waters when James W. Jump landed a 314 pound marlin in 28 minutes with light tackle. Not only is this unprecedented with light tackle, but the fish was the Tuna Club record for a swordfish on any tackle.”


January 16, 1924 [TI/Avalon]: “Mr. James W. Jump and Commodore Wilson paid a flying visit to the Island during the mid-week, staying at the Tuna Club.”


December 16, 1925 [TI/Avalon]: “'What's become of Jimmy Jump?' several old timers have been asking. 'He generally makes a few trips over on his fishing launch Ranger, during the late fall.' All of which is quite true. You may be assured it is not through any loss of interest in Catalina Island on our old friend's part. The fact is, he has just been worked to a frazzle over town at the new Jonathan Club, of which he is first vice president. If the Hon. Jimmy undertakes to do anything, you may rest assured it will go through, and the task of furnishing this wonderful new club, which we understand is possibly the finest and most perfectly equipped in the county, rested upon Mr Jump and a few of his colleagues...”


June 21, 1933 [TI/Avalon]: “James W. Jump, past president of the tuna Club, came over on his fishing launch Ranger. The familiar sound of the siren announced his arrival in the bay on Saturday afternoon. Aboard with Mr. Jump were Mrs. Jump, their son Gene, grandson Billy, and guests: Carl F. Johnson, past president of the Tuna Club; Mrs. Welch Hanberry and Mr. and Mrs. Howard Deems, all of Long Beach. The opening of the Catalina Island Yacht Club brought Mr. Jump over, he being and having been president of the club since it was started, and Mr. Johnson is staff commodore of the club...”


July 18, 1935 [TI/Avalon]: “Jimmy Jump lands second marlin. Sunday, July 14, the good ship Ranger was here with the well-known owner and angler, Jimmy Jump aboard. The old master was out to get first blood, if possible, and he almost did it. Mr. Jump hooked onto a marlin at 2 P.M., and had quite a battle with the fish. The fight lasted one hour and five minutes, and gave the angler quite a work out. On being put on the scales it reached 379 pounds. This is the largest marlin Mr. Jump has ever taken. Strange to say, it must have been past president's day, as earlier A. C. Brode had brought in the first fish of the year, weighing 341 pounds. Both anglers are Past Presidents of the Tuna Club. At this writing Mr. Jump is high man for weight, with his catch of 379 pounds. A real big fish to beat.”


May 11, 2020 [noozhawk]: “The Santa Barbara Maritime Museum’s (SBMM) flagship Ranger, which was one of the Classic Yacht Association’s (CYA) charter members, has rejoined the association’s Southern California Fleet, which includes member boats from Santa Barbara to San Diego. CYA is “dedicated to the promotion, preservation, restoration and maintenance of fine, old power-driven craft.” Ranger is a classic big-game fishing yacht, the first private fishing yacht built on the West Coast. Donated by Jack Morehart, she became the Maritime Museum’s first exhibit. Ranger is now docked in front of the museum. Built in 1917 by Fellows and Stewart in Wilmington, CA, Ranger was made to the specifications of Jimmy Jump, a founding member of the Catalina Island Tuna Club. For many years, Ranger served as the flagship of the Tuna Club. Twenty-six trophy-winning fish were caught from Ranger; and two of its records still stand — the largest yellow fin tuna and the largest broad bill swordfish. ”