John, Santa Cruz Island

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search

John, Santa Cruz Island is a survey station established by William E. Greenwell and his aid, Preston C. F. West, on Saturday, August 15, 1857.

“It is situated on the ridge immediately back of John’s place [Christy Ranch?] at west end of island. The best way of getting to it is to follow the trail that leads over the ridge. When on the summit, turn to the right. The first peak you come to, the signal is on.”

[Note: Although it is not known who John was, on June 9, 1856 “John H. Kelty drowned while bathing at Santa Cruz Island.” (Thompson & West, History of Santa Barbara County, California, 1883 p. 466).

This place name appears on Forney’s 1875 island survey map. This triangulation station appears on the Santa Cruz Island Sheet A topographic map.

The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.

  • [UTM 11: North 3,770,803.028 East 236,314.972]