Mount Pleasant, Santa Cruz Island
Mount Pleasant, Santa Cruz Island is a survey station established in 1857 by William E. Greenwell atop the Mount Pleasant peak, Santa Cruz Island. It is 1396 feet in elevation on the north side of the Navy Road between Prisoners’ Harbor and China Harbor, east of the road to Campo del Norte. On July 15, 1857 William E. Greenwell and his aid, Preston C. F. West, placed a survey marker on Mount Pleasant.
- “It is situated on a mountain midway on the trail between Dr. Shaw’s house and Mondrans, known by the above name.” [Today Mondian is an unknown.] The survey station point was subsequently lost, and replaced in 1934 by Charles K. Green. This triangulation station appears on the Santa Cruz Island Sheet C topographic map.
The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.
- [UTM 11: North 3,765,580.646 East 255,385.302]