New World District, Santa Cruz Island

From Islapedia
Jump to: navigation, search
East of cellar at Main Ranch.
Rough plowed vineyard at right, road leading to the east,
walnut trees and Campo Dos Pinos in the foreground, with creek in middle distance,
and Church and Mondo Novo [New World] vineyards in the distance.
Santa Cruz Island, Symmes, 1922

New World District, Santa Cruz Island is an area to the north and east of the Main Ranch in which several varieties of grapes were planted. An 1898 hand drawn map (#75) shows plots for Riesling, Zinfandel, Burger, Muscatel, Sauvignon and Chasselas, with a mixed area that also includes Grenache, Mataro and Mission grapes. The New World District begins on the north side of the Central Valley road and extends north to the Potrero Norte, and lies to the west of the African District and to the east of the Church District.

» wine production