From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search
Residencia del Dueño
Main Ranch, Santa Cruz Island, 1869

The man standing by the fence is probably Ohlmeyer, superintendent in the 1860s. This adobe was redesigned and a second story added. It was used as a family residence until about 1908 when it was razed.
Salida de los Vaqueros
Main Ranch, Santa Cruz Island, 1869

The first figure to the right is superintendent Ohlmeyer. The men have gathered outside the Residencia del Dueño (owner's residence).

OHLMEYER, Henry ( -1884), born in Germany, became a stockholder in the Santa Cruz Island company when it reorganized in 1873. Ohlmeyer owned one tenth of the capital stock, along with Justinian Caire, Giovanni Battista Cerrutti, Adrien Gensoul, Camilo Martin, T. Lemmen Meyer, Alexander Weill and J. V. Delaveaga. Gustave Mahé owned two tenths. Ohlmeyer and his Mexico-born wife, Ramona (c. 1835-1912), had two sons:

  • Martin Ohlmeyer (born in Mexico)(1869- ) = Carmen Verdugo (1876-1947)
Lolita A. Ohlmeyer (1902-1965)
Henry F. Ohlmeyer (1904-1961)
Martin L. Ohlmeyer (1906-1965)
Carmelita Ohlmeyer [Schwartz] (1909-1985)
  • Henry Ohlmeyer Jr. (1876-1936)

In the News~

October 22, 1870 [SBWP]: “The Santa Cruz Island Company, composed of Mr. Ohlmeyer and others, successors of Dr. Shaw and Messrs. Barron, are extensively engaged in the sheep business, and have large clips, in part Merino and in part long wool.”

April 29, 1870 [SFDEB]: “For Sale by the Santa Cruz Island Company, deliverable at Santa Barbara, during months of June and July: 5,000 whethers, above one year old; 7,000 ewes, above one year old. For further particulars, apply to T. Lemmen Meyer, southwest corner Front and Jackson streets, or to H. Ohlmeyer, Santa Barbara.”

October 22, 1870 [SBP]: “Wool product of Santa Barbara County… The Santa Cruz Island Company, composed of Mr. Ohlmeyer and others, successors of Dr. Shaw and Messrs. Barron, are extensively engaged in the sheep business, and have large clips, in part Merino and in part long wool. There are also many other wool-growers in both the upper and lower parts of the county…”

July 3, 1873 [SBDP]: “Excursion to the island tomorrow. The committee is informed by M. Ohlmeyer that there is an abundance of good water at the Santa Cruz wharf. Persons going should if possible procure tickets before going on board the steamer. The Ventura can accommodate one thousand persons. Let it be understood that we take with us our lunch or dinner. The Ventura will leave Stearn’s Wharf at eight o’clock. A.M. sharp. Family tickets may be had at Miss Plummer’s.”

July 5, 1873 [SBDP]: “The island celebration. At a quarter to 9 o’clock the trim and elegant Ventura bore away from Stearns’ Wharf to Santa Cruz Island with something over two hundred patriotic people, who went to celebrate the Fourth on the beautiful Island of Santa Cruz…In just three hours the steamer was alongside the fine wharf of Messrs. Ohlmeyer and partners…A vote of thanks was heartily given to Messrs. Ohlmeyer and to Messrs. Goodall and associates for courtesies extended to the excursionists…”

July 24, 1873 [SBDMT]: “Board of Equalization in the matter of the petition of H. Ohlmeyer for a reduction of the assessment of the Island of Santa Cruz, Ordered, Reduce number of acres to 52,760 (as per patent), at $1 per acre. Reduce number of sheep to 16,000 and lambs to 7000.”

July 27, 1874 [SBMP]: “Notice is hereby given that Mr. J. B. Joyaux has been duly appointed Superintendent of Santa Cruz Island, in place of Mr. Hy. Ohlmeyer, resigned; and parties having any claim against the Santa Cruz Island Company are notified to settle the same with Mr. Ohlmeyer, as the new Superintendent will not be responsible except for his own contracts. Santa Barbara, July 18, 1874. By order of the Board of Trustees. M. De Kirwan, Secretary, Santa Cruz Island Co.”

June 27, 1876 [DAC]: “State of California, City and County of San Francisco — The undersigned hereby declares and notify all persons that the partnership heretofore existing between the undersigned is this day dissolved. All interest of the undersigned, H. Ohlmeyer, in the partnership property of every class and description, belonging to the said firm, has this day been transferred to and become the sole property of the undersigned, Jose Maria Delaveaga, who is alone authorized to contract in reference hereto, or receipt for debts. Dated June 26th. Signed, H. Ohlmeyer, J. M. Delaveaga.”

September 13, 1884 [DAC]: “Died. Ohlmeyer — In Colima, Mexico, August 25, Herny Ohlmeyer, formerly of this state.”

January 3, 1912 [SBI]: “Died. Ohlmeyer — In Alameda, Cal. January 1, 1912, Ramona C., beloved widow of Henry Ohlmeyer, and loving mother of Martin and Henry Ohlmeyer, a native of Mexico, aged 77 years and 4 months. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend the funeral services today (Wednesday), January 3, 1912, at 11 o'clock A.M., at St. Joseph's Portuguese church, corner Seventh and Chestnut streets, Oakland. Interment St. Mary's Cemetery.”

January 3, 1912 [SBI]: “Mrs. Ramona Ohlmeyer, a former resident of this city, whose husband was at one time the owner of Santa Cruz Island, recently died in Alameda. Her former home in Santa Barbara, at the corner of De la Vina and Cota streets, is still standing.”

HIS SON: Henry Ohlmeyer, Jr. (1876-1936)

November 28, 1936 [SBNP]: “Henry Ohlmeyer, violinist and conductor who died last month at the age of 61 in Los Angeles is the subject of an obituary written by C. L. Bagley in the Overture, the official journal of the Musicians’ Union. The journal is published in Los Angeles. Mr. Ohlmeyer and Mr. Lemmen Meyer owned Santa Cruz Island many years ago. Mr. Ohlmeyer was born in Santa Barbara July 31, 1876, the son of a German father and a Spanish mother, from whom he inherited his musical talents. He studied music in San Francisco and later was associated with his brother Martin in San Diego conducting a Spanish orchestra. From there he went to Riverside where he was the leader of an orchestra and taught violin. He also organized and conducted bands in Santa Monica and Coronado Tent City. John Philip Souza and Victor Herbert were his close friends.”