Portezuela Ranch, Santa Cruz Island
Portezuela Ranch, Santa Cruz Island [Sp., pass between hills], was located in the Portezuela or “upland valley” as Clifford McElrath described it.
- “Portesuela is the Spanish word for a relatively flat upland valley.”
The out ranch formerly located at the Portezuela is depicted on maps as early as 1885 and 1890 (#23 a & b). The site is located to the west of the Main Ranch less than midway to the Christy Ranch. A dug well, a large house, carpenter shop, stables, corrals, three hay barns, a wood shed, vegetable garden, fenced fields and vineyards were located at this medium sized ranch complex. The house was constructed in 1885.
By 1922, Symmes reported:
- “An old cabin, part adobe and part logs, and an old barn are the only remaining buildings at Portezuela. The cabin is occasionally used as a camp as it is on the road to Christy.”