Punta Diablo, Santa Cruz Island

From Islapedia
Revision as of 00:27, 22 August 2015 by MDaily (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Punta del Diablo, Santa Cruz Island [Sp., devil’s point], is a survey station established in 1874 by Stehman Forney:

“on a high, bold point of that name about 1/2 mile northwest of the small cove called Fry's Harbor, on the east side of the point about 400 feet east of the west end of the north bluff, where the slope changes from a gentle to a steep incline.”

The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.

  • [UTM 11: North 3,771,923.753 East 245,105.833]

This triangulation station appears on the Santa Cruz Island Sheet B topographic map.



In the News~

June 16, 1883 [SBDP]: “A magnificent specimen of the eagle species was brought over from Santa Cruz Island yesterday by Avalino Garcia of this city and is now on exhibition at Birabent’s Hotel. It was caught at Punta Diablo on the island and has become quite gentle and domesticated. Its plumage is in fine condition and as it sits upon a slight elevation upon the sidewalk unrestrained by string or chain it presents a perfect living model of the American eagle. The Santa Barbara Guards should obtain the bird and adopt it as the company’s emblem. It would make an appropriate appearance at the top of a standard.”


Spring of 1887 J. Walter Fewkes remarks: “…After many calms, puffs of air, and baffling winds, we sighted, Sunday morning at ten o’clock, the lofty peak of Punta del Diablo, the most lofty headland on the island of Santa Cruz. We ran in toward the land, through the fog, to the neighborhood of the shore, and anchored in a small fiord at the base of Monte Diablo. This fiord, which we will call Star Cañon, is enclosed by lofty cliffs many hundred feet high…” (Across the Santa Barbara Channel in The American Naturalist XXIII:268 (212), April 1889.