Punta Gorda, Santa Cruz Island
Punta Gorda, Santa Cruz Island [Sp., fat point] is on the island’s north shore to the east of Painted Cave and to the west of Ruby Rock. A survey station, Punta Gorda, was established in 1874 by Stehman Forney:
- “on a broad white point near the sea, about 2-1/2 miles to the east of Santa Cruz Island triangulation station, on an old shell mound.”
The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.
- [UTM 11: 3,773,222.878 East 236,729.727]