ROBINSON, Donald Malcolm

From WikiName
Revision as of 08:54, 21 October 2018 by MDaily (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
Don Robinson, right
Point Loma office of CINM

ROBINSON, Donald Malcolm (1919-2004), superintendent of Cabrillo National Monument who became the first superintendent of Channel Islands National Monument (January 1958-September 1963) when their administrations were joined.

In May 1967 their administrations were separated, and Don Robinson became the first superintendent of Channel Islands National Monument in the first independent office on A Street in Oxnard. In April 1974 Robinson left Channel Islands National Monument, and John Cook came in as acting superintendent (April-July 1974). The office was moved to Ventura Harbor.



In the News~

November 26, 1955 [SHNY]: “San Diego. A U.S. Coast Guard plane bombed Santa Barbara Island. The bombs were forty 25-pound sacks of poisoned barley. Their target was 50,000 rabbits. Donald Robinson, Department of the Interior, said: ‘We had to do it. The rabbits were eating the island’s foliage faster than it can grow.’”


July 2, 1959 [OPC]: “Anacapa Island will be opened to the public July 4 as a National Monument, Superintendent Donald M. Robinson of the Cabrillo and Channe Islands National Monuments announced. Two Rangers left Port Hueneme early this morning on a ship loaded with 2-1/2 tons of provisions needed to establish camp on the islands and rehabilitate some of the old structures. Mr. Robinson described the summer program as a pilot study. ‘We want to find out how much interest there is in a public park on the island, and we want to learn more about Anacapa ourselves,’ he explained. The Rangers will establish camp in Frenchman’s Cove, about 14 nautical miles from Port Hueneme. They will make use of the four buildings built there by a hermit and possibly others some 20 years ago. The cove gets its name from a man tentatively identified as Ramon Le Dreux [Raymond LeDreau] who lived on the island for sisteen years without ever visiting the mainland. He was taken off about five years ago after suffering either a broken arm or leg. He caught abalone, lobster and other fish which he traded to passing fishermen and occasional visitors for provisions. The cove is on the eastern [northern] side of the island, sheltered from all storms except the Santa Ana winds…About six months ago, in a meeting in San Francisco, the decision was made to open Anacapa on a trial basis…”