Red Peak, Santa Cruz Island
Red Peak, Santa Cruz Island is a survey station established in 1874 by Stehman Forney:
- “on a high, bold peak covered with red rock immediately in front of the Mmain ranch house, which can be approached by a small brushy ridge on the north face of the valley, about 1-1/2 miles west of the main ranch house.”
The station was recovered in 1934 by Charles K. Greene:
- “on the first of the highest peaks on the main ridge extending from Prisoners' Harbor at the summit of the ridge which forms the south wall of the canyon leading back from the Pelican Harbor. Found stone bottles. The station was remarked with a standard disk set in concrete in rock and stamped Red Peak, 1857-1934. A cairn of rocks was built up around the station.”
The horizontal coordinates were established by classical geodetic methods and adjusted by the National Geodetic Survey in June 1996.
[UTM 11: North 3,767,154.026 East 249,014.747]