SANTA BARBARA ISLAND CHAIN OF TITLE AND LEASE HOLDERS
Santa Barbara Island chain of title: Since 1848, Santa Barbara Island has been U.S. Government property. The Government took little interest in the island until 1909, when it instituted a formal lease agreement policy. Under the terms of the lease, it was formally acknowledged that Santa Barbara Island was U.S. Government property. Once the lease system was established, the following held the Santa Barbara Island lease:
- 1909-1914 J. G. Howland ($26/year)
- 1904-1919 Alvin Hyder ($250/yr)
- 1919-1924 Venice Chamber of Commerce/ Abbott Kinney ($1250/yr; defaulted)
- unleased but occupied by Hyders
- 1929-1932 Arthur McLelland and Harry Cupit (defaulted; cancelled)
In 1938, Santa Barbara Island became a part of Channel Islands National Monument, encompassing both Anacapa and Santa Barbara islands. This status was created under President Franklin Roosevelt’s Antiquities Act of 1938.