SANTA CATALINA ISLAND CHAIN OF TITLE
- THOMAS M. ROBBINS YEARS (1846-1850) received Santa Catalina Island as a land grant from Mexican Governor of Alta California, Pio Pico.
- JOSE MARIA COVARRUBIAS YEARS (1850- )
- THE LICK YEARS (1867-1887)
- James Lick began buying interest in Santa Catalina Island in 1864, and by 1867 had managed to merge the ownership back to one person. By the time he had acquired ownership, various ranchers and stock raisers had moved onto the island and claimed squatters’ rights. Most of them were evicted. In 1874 Lick created a $3,000,000 Trust, with trustees taking title to Santa Catalina Island. Lick’s illegitimate son contested the trust, and in 1887 new trustees sold the island to George Shatto for $200,000.
- THE SHATTO YEARS (1887-1892)
- After Catalina Island was sold to George Shatto in 1887, he had the town surveyed and streets laid out. He then sold the first lots. He didn't want the town named "Shattoville" and asked his sister-in-law, Etta Whitney, to name the town. She chose "Avalon," a Celtic word meaning "island of apples." It is also the name of the place in Tennyson's poem, "Idylls of a King," where King Arthur went to heal himself.
- THE BANNING YEARS (1892-1919)
- After Phineas Banning’s death, his three sons continued his business interests. In 1892, Banning’s sons purchased Santa Catalina Island for $128,740 from George Shatto, except for Avalon lots already sold to individuals by Shatto, and one previous mining claim. In 1896 the Banning brothers formed the Santa Catalina Island Company with each brother owning one-third of the island property.
- *William Banning
- *Joseph Banning
- *Hancock Banning
- THE WRIGLEY YEARS (1919-1972)
- CATALINA ISLAND CONSERVANCY EST. 1972
- THE RUSACK YEARS