SANTA CRUZ ISLAND CHAIN OF TITLE
CHAIN OF TITLE FROM THE KING OF SPAIN
- KING OF SPAIN
Spanish occupation of California began in 1769 with title to all the land becoming vested in the King under the Laws of the Indies.
- THE MEXICAN NATION
Spanish rule in California gave way to Mexican in 1822, through Mexico's successful revolt against Spain.
- ANDRES S. CASTILLERO
By grant of Island of Santa Cruz from Juan Bautista Alvarado, Mexican Governor of California, to Andres Castillero on May 22, 1839. California was ceded to the United States by the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo in 1848, and the title of Castillero was confirmed by United States as evidenced by its patent issued November 7, 1864, recorded in Book A page 34 of Patents.
- WILLIAM E. BARRON
By a deed from Andres Castillero, dated June 21, 1857.
- GUSTAVE MAHE
- CAMILO MARTIN
- ALEXANDER WEILL
- T. LEMMEN MEYER
- NICOLAS LARCO
- ADRIEN GENSOUL
- GIOVANNI BATTISTA CERRUTI
- JUSTINIAN CAIRE
- THOMAS J. GALLAGHER
- PABLO BACA
By a deed from William E. Barron, dated February 16, 1869.
- THE SANTA CRUZ ISLAND COMPANY ~a corporation~
By a deed from Gustav Mahe, et al., dated March 29, 1869.
- STOCKHOLDERS OF THE SANTA CRUZ ISLAND COMPANY ~a revived corporation~
Through partition action (Superior Court Case No. 10812) commenced by Aglae S. Capuccio, plaintiff, versus Arthur J. Caire et al., defendants, wherein F. F. Flournoy, George W. McComber, and Frank M. Whitney were appointed referees to make a partition of Santa Cruz Island and wherein a final degree was entered on November 16, 1925, setting apart Tracts Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, a referred to in the Referees' Report, to The Santa Cruz Island Company.
- EDWIN L. STANTON ~a married man~
By a deed from The Santa Cruz Island Company on April 10, 1937.
- EDWIN L. STANTON and EVELYN C. STANTON ~husband and wife~
Each as to an undivided one half interest as separate property by deeds between Edwin L. Stanton and Evelyn C. Stanton, dated January 1, 1938 and August 4, 1948.
- THE SANTA CRUZ ISLAND COMPANY, a corporation ~ By Grant Deed dated December 21, 1964, from Evelyn C. Stanton and Deed of Executor of Carey Q. Stanton, as executor of the estate of Edwin L. Stanton, pursuant to Court Order dated December 3, 1964.
- THE NATURE CONSERVANCY, a District of Columbia nonprofit corporation ~ By Deed dated September 15, 1978 as to approximately 12,000 acres in fee as to the balance a remainder interest after a 30-year term, or the lifetime of Dr. Carey Stanton, reserved by the Santa Cruz Island Company.
Carey Stanton died at his island home December 8, 1987, and the western 9/10th of Santa Cruz Island passed to the Nature Conservancy.
Parcels 6 and 7 created in the 1925 partition action remained with Caire family descendants until the creation of Channel Islands National Park in 1980.
NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
» Ellison, William Henry History of the Santa Cruz Island Grant in Pacific Historical Review, v. VI, #3, 270-283, 1937.
In the News~
June 21, 1852 Report of the Secretary of the Interior announces the leasing of Santa Cruz Island to Mr. Alexander G. Abell of San Francisco for a period of one year. “…For this purpose I entered into an agreement with Mr. Abell, a copy of which is herewith communicated to the Senate. From an inspection of this agreement it will be seen that it authorizes Mr. Abell to take possession of the island in the name and on behalf of the United States, and to hold and enjoy it for one year, subject, however, to the power of Congress at any moment to annul the contract without the consent of Mr. Abell…”
November 12, 1852, Deed Book A, page 72 of the Official Records of Santa Barbara County: Thomas Jefferys Quit Claim of a frame house at Prisoners’ Harbor to Charles Fernald: “Thomas Jefferys to Charles Fernald: Known all men by those present, that I, Thomas Jeffries, of Santa Barbara in the State of California, in consideration of the sum of ten dollars, to one paid by Charles Fernald, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, do hereby sell, remise, release and forever quit claim unto the said Charles Fernald, and unto his heirs and assigns, a certain frame house situated on the Island of Santa Cruz in the County of Santa Barbara, near the beach known as Prisoners’ Harbor, to have and to hold ...”