Difference between revisions of "SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPHS"

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(3 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 342: Line 342:
  
 
=====Military Presence on San Clemente Island 1936-1939=====
 
=====Military Presence on San Clemente Island 1936-1939=====
 +
<BR>
 +
'''The control of San Clemente Island was transferred from the Department of Commerce to the Navy for the development of fleet training facilities. During 1935-1936, twenty-two (22) major administrative, utility, and personnel support facilities were constructed at Camp Tarrant (Wilson Cove) which included the communications and operations building (60101), headquarters building (60102), the galley-messhall (60103), the fire station (60143), the pier (60145), several personnel berthing facilities, and a number of utility support structures.'''
 +
  
 
<center><gallery widths=350px heights=300px  perrow=2 mode=nolines>
 
<center><gallery widths=350px heights=300px  perrow=2 mode=nolines>
 
  
 
File:Marine Corp Field Hospital Training SCI1936.jpg|<center>Marine Corp Field Hospital Training, 1936</center>
 
File:Marine Corp Field Hospital Training SCI1936.jpg|<center>Marine Corp Field Hospital Training, 1936</center>
Line 397: Line 399:
 
<BR>
 
<BR>
 
<center><gallery widths=350px heights=300px  perrow=2 mode=nolines>
 
<center><gallery widths=350px heights=300px  perrow=2 mode=nolines>
 +
 +
Image: SClem 1950s.png|<center> Rocket-assisted anti-submarine torpedos (ASROC) were launched on the west side of the island at the Eel Point Shallow Water Range. For the next several years, well into the 1960s, a variety of sub-surface and surface launched projects were conducted.
 +
San Clemente Island, 1953</center>
 +
  
  

Latest revision as of 19:54, 25 March 2020




Ranching Photos (pre-military) on San Clemente Island 1930-1935



Top of Page


Top of Page


Top of Page


Top of Page


Top of Page


Top of Page


Top of Page

Ranching Photos (undated)

Top of Page

Military Operations on San Clemente Island

San Clemente Island was acquired by the U.S. Navy in 1934. It is the Navy's only remaining ship-to-shore live firing range, the center of the integrated air/land/sea San Clemente Island Range Complex with an active sonar base, a simulated embassy for commando training, a rocket-test facility, the Naval Auxiliary Landing Field and a Navy SEAL training facility.

Top of Page

Military Presence on San Clemente Island 1936-1939


The control of San Clemente Island was transferred from the Department of Commerce to the Navy for the development of fleet training facilities. During 1935-1936, twenty-two (22) major administrative, utility, and personnel support facilities were constructed at Camp Tarrant (Wilson Cove) which included the communications and operations building (60101), headquarters building (60102), the galley-messhall (60103), the fire station (60143), the pier (60145), several personnel berthing facilities, and a number of utility support structures.


Top of Page


Military Presence on San Clemente Island 1940s

Top of Page


Military Photos on San Clemente Island 1950s



Top of Page


Military Photos on San Clemente Island 1960s



Top of Page


Military Presence on San Clemente Island 1970s

Top of Page



Military Presence on San Clemente Island 1980s

Top of Page


Building Boom on San Clemente Island 2016

Top of Page