- Harold Stamford (1895-1985) Avalon Cemetery
- May Stamford (1897-1977)
Mrs. May Stamford, residence 329 Claressa Ave., phone number 41, is listed in the 1924 Avalon Telephone Directory.
In the News~
January 14, 1925 [TI/Avalon]: “Among the familiar names of 1908 are launch Mabel F, P. V. Reyes, Hotel Hermosa, Hotel Glenmore, Island Villa, J. Albert, and Hotel Stamford.”
August 5, 1925 [TI/Avalon]: “Janey May Stamford returned Sunday after visiting her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Berlotti for the past two weeks... Mrs. Jane Stamford has returned to her Avalon home after a six months visit to the mainland. While in Los Angeles Mrs. Stamford went to Claremont where her son, J. H. Stamford, has his home. Mr. Stamford built an apartment on his home for his mother.”
September 8, 1955 [TI/Avalon]: “Mrs. Elizabeth Stamford passed away Saturday, Sept. 3rd in the McCabe Rest Home in Claremont, where she has been a patient for the past year. Funeral services were hold yesterday afternoon in the Claremont Memorial Chapel. Mrs. Stamford was the step mother of Harold Stamford and has long been associated with Catalina's early history. She was a staunch supporter of the Congregational Church, of which her brother, Charles Williams, was minister serving in Avalon from 1899 to 1906. Brother and sister worked together for the community and were instrumental in the building of the present church and the parsonage. She was organist for the church and gave piano lessons to Island children. Mrs. Stamford's mother, Mary Williams, was the founder of the local Women's Club, formally known as the Mary Williams Club. She was also an affiliated member of the Claremont Church, an ex-regent of the Claremont Chapter of the D.A.R., a life member of the Women's Club of Claremont and an honorary member of the Santa Catalina Woman's Club. In lieu of flowers kindly send donations to the Catalina Museum Memory Fund.”