Shubrick

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search
Shubrick (1857-1886)
William Branford Shubrick (1790-1874)

Shubrick (#) (1857-1886), 140.8-foot, single-screw vessel, the first used to service the lighthouses of the Pacific coast of North America for the Lighthouse board. Completed on 25 November 1857, Shubrick was named for Colonel William Branford Shubrick (1790-1874), first chairman of the Lighthouse Board created by Congress in 1852. The vessel was placed under the command of Captain T. A. Harris. She set sail for San Francisco, California, through the Strait of Magellan on 23 December 1857, arriving on 27 May 1858 after a voyage of 155 days. Shubrick spent the next three years setting buoys and carrying lighthouse supplies along the Pacific coast.

On 23 August 1861, on the outbreak of the Civil War, Shubrick was transferred to the Revenue Cutter Service. Commissioned on 15 October 1861 under the command of Revenue Captain William Cooke Pease, Shubrick served under Revenue Cutter Service orders for almost four years, performing customs and law enforcement duties, based first out of San Francisco, and then at Port Townsend from June 1862.

On 15 February 1865, Shubrick was transferred to the Navy Department for 90 days for special service in the Bering Strait supporting survey operations conducted by a Colonel Charles S. Buckley, the agent of the Russian Telegraph Company. She then returned to San Francisco, and the Revenue Cutter Service, who in turn handed her back to the Lighthouse Board on 24 December 1866.

On 8 September 1867, while transporting building materials to the Cape Mendocino Lighthouse, Shubrick ran aground 30 miles south of the site. Considered a total loss, she was abandoned, but her chief engineer, Thomas Winship, was able to save her. Shubrick was rebuilt at the San Francisco Navy Yard at a cost of $162,399.12 and was placed back in service in 1869. She transferred to the 13th Lighthouse District in January 1880, and remained active for five more years, before being taken out of service in December 1885, and decommissioned the following month.

Shubrick was sold at Astoria, Oregon in March 1886. Her new owner ran her aground and stripped her of usable material, and then burnt her hull to recover all of her copper and metal fittings.

Shubrick was replaced by the tender Madroño.


WIKIPEDIA Lighthouse tender Shubrick