Tremont Barrio, Avalon, Santa Catalina Island
Tremont Barrio, Avalon, Santa Catalina Island, located on Tremont Street, became the site where William Wrigley, Jr. developed a small community of buildings reminiscent of a Mexican village. Existing shacks were torn down and replaced with white stucco, tile-roofed buildings of three and four apartments. All the homes had floors of Oregon pine and wood-burning stoves. Fifty-eight units were built, including twelve bachelor apartments. Apartments were rented for $10 and $15 per month, while bachelor quarters rented for $4 a month. The project, completed in 1928, included a social hall and theatre for use by the island’s Mexican community.