Valley Anchorage, Santa Cruz Island
Valley Anchorage, Santa Cruz Island (El Puerto de la Cañada del Sur), is at the eastern end of the island’s long Central Valley where it meets the ocean. The place name appears on the June 1882 U.S. Coast Survey map Pacific Coast from Santa Monica to Point Conception, including the Santa Barbara Channel, California, J.E. Hilgard, Superintendent.
A private research installation, Maripro, occupied the bluffs at Valley Anchorage under lease from the Santa Cruz Island Company and later The Nature Conservancy from the 1960s until the facility’s removal in 1995. This place name appears on the Santa Cruz Island Sheet C topographic map.