Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology

From WikiName
Jump to: navigation, search
Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology Camarillo, CA


Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology [WFVZ] was founded in 1956 by Los Angeles businessman, Ed N. Harrison (1914-2002), whose avocational interests included egg collecting and bird photography. During his lifetime, Harrison added many important private collections to his holdings, which represent global ornithological interest. In 1991 the WFTZ gained control of the assets of the Bleitz Wildlife Foundation [BWF], and in 1993 the BWF was subsumed by the WFVZ. In 1992 a large warehouse was purchased in Camarillo, Ventura County, California to accommodate the holdings of the greatly expanded foundation, whose mission is to acquire, integrate and preserve avian collections. Library holdings include copies of field notes of early collectors on the Channel Islands, including:


» Kiff, Lloyd F. A History of the Western Foundation of Vertebrate Zoology, 1956-1994 in Davis, William E. Jr. and Jerome A. Jackson Contributions to the History of North American Ornithology Volume II, p. (183-228). Cambridge Massachusetts, Nuttall Ornithological Club, 2000.