William G. Irwin
William G. Irwin (#80824) (1881-1926), brigantine of 348 tons, was built by shipwright Matthew Turner at San Francisco in 1881 for J. D. Spreckels as a Hawaii packet, later being transferred to the Oceanic Steamship Co., which was largely owned by the Spreckels family. The brigantine appears several times in the list of fast passages, her best being from San Francisco to Kahului in 8 days, 17 hours in 1881. When sold out of the Island trade, she went to the Tacoma & Roche Harbor Lime Co., they selling her for $28,000 to Capt. Alex Woodside in 1917 for the offshore copra trade. She was rerigged a three-masted schooner of 400 m capacity; was taken over a year or so later by the Bank of Italy; and was laid up at San Francisco in July 1920, after arrival from Samoa. Two years later she was reported going to pieces rapidly, and was shortly thereafter sold to Famous-Players-Lasky and burned at Catalina, May 15, 1926. [John Lyman Pacific Coast-built sailers 1850-1905, The Marine Digest. September 27, 1941, p. 2.
- 57. William G. Irwin, 1926 (F. L. Coffman 1001 Lost, Buried or Sunken Treasures, 1957)